Does more RAM cool your machine down?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by The.316, Nov 19, 2010.

1. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

Up until yesterday, I had 8gb of RAM in my iMac; two 2gb sticks stock from Apple, and two 2gb cards that I added. With this current configuration, I would have an average temperature of 54 degrees, and never was really higher than 65 degrees. Last night, I removed all four sticks, and I went with four 4gb sticks. Ive noticed now with the 16gb of RAM, my temperature has been from 34-36 degrees. The iMac is faster on wake up as well. I never read anywhere that RAM cools a system down. Is that the case here? I noticed that I had the two stock Apple sticks on one side, and the two new ones on the other side prior to me upgrading to 16gb. Would that be an issue as well?

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Only thing I can suggest is more RAM = less disk access (when running multiple applications and your pushing the system hard). If the hard disk is hard at work, it may produce more heat. Also more I/O from the hard disk would work the I/O chips harder and produce more heat as well. However, RAM chips will also produce heat themselves...