does more Ram = faster boot?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jongewehr, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

hey guys got a unibody with 2gb ram, if i put 6gb in would it boot faster? or is that mostly to do with the HDD speed an processor?

would i see more snappyness out of the system, i know that, thats mostly wit the processor, but would i see a little?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What is the fascination with boot times?
    I hardly ever boot

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Jongewehr thread starter macrumors 6502

lol idk , was just wondering

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I was just curious

Some (not you) make it seem like a race against death and if it takes 3 seconds longer the universe will be annihilated or something

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. joehahn macrumors regular

patience will do the trick;)

but in all seriousness, a faster hard drive makes it boot faster. all of the os startup data is on it and the faster the disk is spinning, the faster itll boot. more ram only makes the applications you are running work faster

6. Jongewehr thread starter macrumors 6502

7. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

SL will help with this. ;)

As other folks have stated, RAM will not.

8. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

I agree. Why do people care so much! When ever I want to see speeds of SSD on Youtube, instead of showing how useful they are by filming application launching all people show is boot times. Does 20 seconds vs 40 seconds matter?

9. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

These days, you may see some improvement, as with faster HDD, and faster processor, but not tons on any single improvement. Of all those factors, RAM probably still outweighs all others in making a system seem faster. Some years ago, RAM made much more difference, but operating systems have grown faster than RAM technology.

If the OS is too big and slow, as OS X and Windows have become, then it will be up to Apple and others to make their operating systems work faster. Some say Leopard seems slow and the best thing I can guess is it's the OS as the hardware seems very good. Let's hope better for Snow Leopard over time and over upgrades.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

This isn't windows, where a faster boot time will actually speed up the edit process on a project, as the machine crashes repeatedly during the day.

Try putting the machine to sleep, or setting up multi-user and assigning a hot corner to do a password lock on the screen when you walk away.

Rebooting the machine that often where boot times matter is just silly.

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Want faster boot times?? Get a SSD installed as your system drive and you'll never need to worry about the time it takes to boot... Think it's takes like 5 seconds from powerup.