Does MS Exchange = Hotmail on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KCWolfPck, Mar 7, 2008.

1. KCWolfPck macrumors regular

Once MS Exchange is on the iPhone, does that mean we'll be able to get Hotmail on the iPhone without have to forward it through other services like IzyMail?

2. NotoriousBOG macrumors newbie

3. KCWolfPck thread starter macrumors regular

I understand that Exchange is separate from Hotmail. I was just wondering that now that the iPhone had exchange support, does that mean that the iPhone would now be capable of retrieving HTTP mail?

Just wondering because Blackberry's can do it and they have Exchange support. I thought there might be a connection??

4. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 8gb: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

considering how setting up an excchange sever on my Linux box makes for free pop hotmail.

I would say maybe.

5. jeffmc macrumors 6502

http mail?

there's three mail protocols i see most commonly today:

IMAP
    Exxhange
    POP

hotmail does not have the ability to be used with a mail client last i checked. unless anything has changed recently, you need to use safari to go hotmail.com or get a real email address

6. KCWolfPck thread starter macrumors regular

"Hotmail is using the HTTP protocol for connecting you to your mailbox. If you want to send and receive Hotmail emails using an email client software, then your software must support Hotmail HTTP access for your email account. Some email clients, such as Outlook Express or Microsoft Outlook, offer builtin support for Hotmail accounts, so you only have to select HTTP when you are asked to select your email account type and select Hotmail as the HTTP Mail Service Provider. "

7. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

In fact there's a plug-in for mail.app called - appropriately enough - httpmail. It works pretty well and allows you access to your Hotmail account in Mail.app.

It's conceivable someone could write a plug-in for mail on the iphone, or simply (and more likely) a separate client allowing http account access.

TM

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Unfortunately HttpMail requires you to pay for Hotmail Plus if you have a relatively new account.

9. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i didnt think there was much reason to keep a hotmai these days, gmail is also free and pop or imap

10. KCWolfPck thread starter macrumors regular

Try telling that to my wife who has had the same Hotmail e-mail address since 1996.

11. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

MSN is the standard in the UK unfortunately.

12. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

No it does not ... Exchange is a enterprise level tool used by corporations for mail.

However with the new SDK I could see someone writing a plug-in to support hotmail for the iphone's mail.app

13. sparkyms macrumors 65816

then people need to learn they can assign their non-hotmail address to a passport and use it. The sheer abundance of underscores and dots in hotmail address' really pee me off.

14. ikare macrumors member

I have had hotmail for quite some time also, so switching was not a option, I upgraded to hotmail live plus and have no problems getting it on my phone, its not that expensive for a year and it's worth it....

15. gvegastiger macrumors regular

I used to have hotmail. In fact I've had my name as my email address since 1998 but just recently switched over to gmail, still got my name! Gmail is just way too good to keep using that piece of crap called Hotmail.

16. 21iceman21 macrumors newbie

ikare can you help?

I too swtiched to Hotmail Plus and everything seemed to be fine using it on my iPhone 3G however I've noticed that for some reason it stopped downloading new emails..... I've deleted and reinstalled the email account but that still hasn't fixed the issue.

I'm totally confused.

I also noticed that whenever I deleted emails from my inbox on the iphone that they weren't deleted from hotmail via webmail even though I'd amended the advanced settings to do so?

Can you help at all?

Thanks

17. kevinof macrumors 6502a

That statement is way to general. I'm no corporation but use exchange mail (mail2web) on my iphone. I have forwarded gmail and others to my mail2web account and it all gets pushed to my iphone.

18. philgilder macrumors 68000

+1

gmail is FAR better
    supports imap
    excellent spam filtering
    free!

i tried this, but setting up mail2web in a desktop app is impossible, so back to regular old imap for me! i also noticied a lot more spam since i signed up for mail2web