Does my 15" Pro have the tools to take SD content and convert it to HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kushed, Mar 17, 2011.

1. kushed macrumors regular

or is that not a software issue more of a hardware issue? i was browsing through quicktime that my mac has and i didnt see anything that looked like it was related to upconverting..

I have downloaded all the Entourage seasons and i want to find a way to turn it into HD and then stream it through my mac to my 60" plasma =) any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!:D

2. hsenor macrumors newbie

No Improvement

You can put the files into iMovie and then export as 720P, but upscaling has NO IMPROVEMENT on quality. The file will be larger but the video will still be the same quality.

3. kushed thread starter macrumors regular

So handbrake or any other program wont be able to take the downloaded content i have and upconvert it? i feel like theres got to be a way! i mean come on this is the best audo/video machine on the planet!!!!!!

4. MrSEC macrumors regular

Now if you have core i7 CS5 and a graphics card that is mercury engine playback capable...I agree.:)

5. ericcumbee macrumors newbie

no you do not expect to take a 4x6 photo and try to make a 8x10 that looks just as good do you?

6. kushed thread starter macrumors regular

theres really no way to do this? i swear thers a way to like take the video frame. open it automatically resize it and then save it over the original image.. i mean there HAS TO BE some kind of software out like this.. look at ALL of the old bond movies and disney movies coming out in blueray.. sean conn:apple:ery didnt reshoot all of these movies lol.

7. nastebu, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

nastebu macrumors 6502

No they didn't reshoot the movies; but they didn't have to in order to get a better picture. Film is much higher resolution than either standard definition video or high definition video, so in that case the original (on film) is being degraded each time it moves into digital format. So it is degraded less when it is converted to HD than when it is converted to SD.

You are asking about taking an original in an already degraded format (SD) and converting it into a higher definition format. All you're going to get is a larger file version of the same resolution picture. Converting the file size doesn't add extra information to the image.

8. tiwizard macrumors regular

Blu-Rays were originally shot in a resolution above 1080p, so what they actually do is DOWNSIZE them for DVDs.

Think about it this way-- a 4x6 photo has a certain number of dots going across the paper. For this purpose, the dots will be 1x1 inch. This means you have 6 dots across the page. When you turn this photo into a 8x12, each dot will have to get bigger (2x2) and therefore the image will blur/pixelate. You can't recreate the detail and double the amount of dots (have 12 1x1 dots across the page) because that information was never recorded. It works the same way with screens.

TL;DR:

You can't make something bigger and sharper, but you can make something smaller. It doesn't matter what computer you have, you can create more detail from nothing.

9. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

It has nothing to do with how good or bad your MacBook Pro.

An upscaled SD is not going to look good any better than hitting the full screen button.

10. Quad5Ny, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

It doesn't work the way you think it does, you cannot add information (detail) if it wasn't there in the first place. Sure you could apply some filters and make it look somewhat better but its usually not worth the trouble.

The old movies coming out on Blu-ray are new scans of the original flim. For example; good 35mm film has about 20+ Mega-pixels worth of detail.

SD (or 480p) = 720x480
    HD (or 1080p) = 1920x1080
    4K = 4096x3072
    20MP Image = 5120x3840

Edit: Can you even load iTunes TV shows in Final Cut/iMovie? They're protected with Fairplay DRM. (Or does Final/iMovie have access to the decryption keys?)

11. Bossboss macrumors member

this has got to be a troll post.. there's no way this is a real question.

12. kushed thread starter macrumors regular

okay, well i thought it was worth a shot. Thank all of you for your time and thank you even for giving me helpful advice instead of being asses.. i have been to a couple of mac fourms and this one is by far the best for information and curtesy.

I have time to waste i might as well try to add some filters.. where can i find these? ill give it a shot and post the outcomes on here to let you all know how well it works out for me

13. Bossboss macrumors member

no software in the world will be able to create hd quality video from sd. all you'll be able to do is stretch the image and maybe do some smoothing. complete waste of time, your results will not be any better than if u just watched the video as it is in sd.