Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Today I saw an odd piece of information thanks to the Mac Game Store app: does my iMac 2011 (12,2) have Intel HD Graphics 3000 alongside the Radeon 6970M?

I never heard of anything like that before for this iMac model, so I would like to check if any of you know about it..! Thanks!

rossip

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
Today I saw an odd piece of information thanks to the Mac Game Store app: does my iMac 2011 (12,2) have Intel HD Graphics 3000 alongside the Radeon 6970M?

I never heard of anything like that before for this iMac model, so I would like to check if any of you know about it..! Thanks!

I'd image if it does it's be something that world not be exposed in OS X, something that you'd need windows via bootcamp to conventionally get access to. I've been curious about this myself for some time too.

michelg1970

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2011
The Hague - The Netherlands
I'd image if it does it's be something that world not be exposed in OS X, something that you'd need windows via bootcamp to conventionally get access to. I've been curious about this myself for some time too.

I guess it is like any computer: the Intel is built in the CPU (I thought) and if the motherboard doesn't arrange for the output from video from CPU via MoBo then it won't work.

Apple's proprietary mobo would I think act the same: intel 3000 is present in the cpu but not forwarded by the mobo because there is already a dedicated graphics cards.

Just guessing here. Sorry if I'm wrong

rossip

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
I guess it is like any computer: the Intel is built in the CPU (I thought) and if the motherboard doesn't arrange for the output from video from CPU via MoBo then it won't work.

Apple's proprietary mobo would I think act the same: intel 3000 is present in the cpu but not forwarded by the mobo because there is already a dedicated graphics cards.

Just guessing here. Sorry if I'm wrong

Interesting, so while the gpu may be present in the cpu, a lack of a connection from the mother board would make it completely inoperable. SO it could be a hardware limitation, not just software.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'm guessing it does. When I had an issue with my 2012 27" iMac, the diagnostics at the Apple Store clearly showed the Intel HD4000 in my iMac, despite the fact that it's never used due to the MX 680GTX card taking priority.

I would guess it's the same deal with the Intel HD3000.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I'm guessing it does. When I had an issue with my 2012 27" iMac, the diagnostics at the Apple Store clearly showed the Intel HD4000 in my iMac, despite the fact that it's never used due to the MX 680GTX card taking priority.

I would guess it's the same deal with the Intel HD3000.

But there is a big difference between "taking priority" and being totally deactivated. I am surprised no one has ever checked this, and whether the two circuits could be used in tandem or if the Intel GFX may be employed in low-complexity tasks.

rossip

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
But there is a big difference between "taking priority" and being totally deactivated. I am surprised no one has ever checked this, and whether the two circuits could be used in tandem or if the Intel GFX may be employed in low-complexity tasks.

You don't happen to have Windows installed via bootcamp, if so head on over to Intel's website and see if it can detect your intel gpu.

Eugen Mezei

Suspended
Mar 21, 2015
I have Macs Fan Conrol installed onto my iMac 2011 (with El Capitan) and it shows the temperature for "GPU Intel HD Graphics 3000".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.