Does my iPad 2 have a virus?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JakeTheSnake3, Jun 23, 2013.

1. JakeTheSnake3 macrumors newbie

Before I start this, last night the internet on my iPad was working perfectly fine. This morning I try to connect to wifi on my iPad and it is not working. To simplify things my wifi is called Home1 and there is also a wifi that appears called dlink, I believe it comes with all Mac devices. So I open Home1 and all is well it connects and I have 3 bars. I switch to Safari and it opens but no more than 5 seconds later it loses connection and this page opens up that in the corner says dlink and there is a Yahoo search saying "Apple Success Test Library" in the search bar but there is no internet connection. I am not sure what this is whether it is a virus or not. Could someone please point me in the right direction and diagnose the problem and give a solution? All thanks is appreciated.

2. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

You don't have a virus. dlink is somebody else's nearby wireless router and has nothing to do with you (unless you have a dlink router). Click on the arrow next to it in settings and choose "Forget the Advice"

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No it isn't a virus. There are currently isn't any malware for iOS. Try restarting your wireless router and your modem.

4. JakeTheSnake3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both, I will try resetting the router and modem and disabling dlink

5. JakeTheSnake3 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I reset both my router and modem for 2 minutes and once I had everything restarted it still did the same thing. In the wifi settings I can do the ignore to Home1 but it is not an option for dlink and it is still doing the same thing where 5 seconds after Home1 has been activated dlink will come up with the yahoo search but not logged in with no connection, any other ideas?

6. TigerRosy, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013

TigerRosy macrumors newbie

I am having the same identical issue with my iPhone 4s. Some interesting things to note:

My iPhone 4s is the only one of the IOS devices in the home currently running IOS 6.1.3. All other devices are running older versions of IOS. Those devices can access Wi-Fi. I can also access Wi-Fi from Kindle Fire and my laptop. There seems to be something going wrong in the authentication process on the device running the newest IOS.

I am unable to access Apple.com, iTunes Store or the App Store from any device using Wi-Fi which includes all IOS devices, Kindle Fire and laptops. However, I can access the above from the iPhone 4s using 4G.

I'm not sure this is helpful, but at least you can be assured it isn't just you or your network.

7. JakeTheSnake3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, that's strange, I know that I do not have the most recent update, I am not sure which one I am running but I have no updated in a few months anyways. This is the only Apple product that I own so I do not have anything to compare with.

8. IronVictory macrumors newbie

I'm having the EXACT same problem. Started this morning.

It was just affecting my iPad, but then I updated iOS on my iPhone today and now my iPhone is having the same problem. That's what I get for finally updating iOS!

Let me know if anyone figures out a solution.

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

There are no malware for jailed iOS devices at the moment but they are prone to software corruption over time. You could have a corrupted file causing it to not save the change when you try to forget this odd network. It's also possible there is a bug fix in those updates you haven't run.

My suggestion is backing up your stuff and doing a complete restore and update. In fact google how to do a DFU restore and really dig any gunk out. It would probably be best to set it up new if you can (so back up by importing photos etc). I've noticed that when I do a backup I seem to have fewer issues with iCloud backups than iTunes so that's a thought also.

You might also want to verify that your router is up to date in its software. Sometimes that can play into wifi connection issues.

If it keeps acting up after that, go to an apple store or call apple care. Best to give it like 72 hours so they don't turn you away cause they have no data to diagnose.

10. TigerRosy macrumors newbie

As mysteriously as it stopped working, it is now working again. Also can access Apple.com. I hope it is working normally for everyone else as well.

11. 343matt macrumors newbie

iOS Malware

Yes, there is no malware/viruses available for non-jail broken iOS devices.

12. JakeTheSnake3 thread starter macrumors newbie

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This has happened before. iOS pings an Apple server to see if it has an internet connection. When that server rarely fails or doesn't work right, a subset of users can have internet connectivity problems. That's likely what happened for those of you in this thread having problems.