Does my iPhone still have warranty ?. URGENT, Please advise

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tharlae, Dec 11, 2011.

1. tharlae macrumors newbie

I had an iPhone 3GS 8GB (running 4.1-8B117) gifted and to my dismay, it did not work on the my sim in India, so i decided to force a baseband upgrade to iPad baseband (6.15) using redsnow, and i dont know how i messed up with it and it has a bad brick now, a pretty risky and an expensive one too.
    Since then, my iPhone is stuck in recovery mode and gives me error 1013 on a proper restore with itunes, i have tried removing the gs.apple lines from hosts file, then disabling hosts via tiny umbrella and whatsoever i do, it doesnt work but lies in recovery mode and if i re-jailbreak it, i cannot see the IMEI, modem firmware, wifi, bluetooth etc. and the device keeps restarting every three minutes.
    I finally have come to a conclusion that my iPhone needs to have the baseband chip replaced now as it has got corrupted.

But my iPhone is still under the warranty period, can i go and ask for a replace or will they be able to find it out if it is in recovery mode with no data that can be detected.

Please help me with this problem as my warranty is only till Feb.

2. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

Have you tried first restore as pwned DFU? Download iFaith, put your device as Pwned DFU and try a restore using iTunes to 5.0.1

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Once you install the ipad bb in order to unlock you can never restore to stock itunes firmware again.
    You will have to restore to a custom JB ipsw.
    The behavior is normal, that's what happens with the 06.15.00 baseband on the 3G and 3GS.
    You just gotta research and know what you're doing first.
    What you will need to do is create a custom 4.1 ipsw using snowbreeze and restore to that.
    Then open cydia and install ultrasnow to unlock.
    And most likely if you bring it to Apple they will see you flashed the baseband and they will void your warranty.

4. declandio macrumors 6502

Put the serial number of the phone in here to check warranty coverage- https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

As already mentioned though, since you've been messing with the baseband, they may not honour a warranty even if there is still some left...

5. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

If your baseband has been changed to 6.15, there's no doubt your warranty is void.