Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
My ipod had been charging for about 1.5 hours when i take it out to see how its doing. First, it is almost to hot to handle. The plastic felt like it was about 120°F and the metal back felt like 150°F. The bottom part of the screen was also darkened a little (which I fixed by adjusting the contrast quickly and then turning the backlight on and off very quickly)

It has become burning hot almost every time I charge it and I was just wondering if it is just normal to have a hot ipod or if I need to take it in to an Apple certified technition for further analysis.

thanks for the help.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
DOnt charge your ipod via the firecable while your computer is on. If you do, the ipod gets hot and the hard drive spins (hold it to your ear, you can hear it do so). If you have a laptop, you can close the lid and charge off the comp without running the drive and getting hot.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by buffsldr
DOnt charge your ipod via the firecable while your computer is on. If you do, the ipod gets hot and the hard drive spins (hold it to your ear, you can hear it do so). If you have a laptop, you can close the lid and charge off the comp without running the drive and getting hot.

Whoa thanks man. I never knew taht it worked like that. Ill remeber this next time i need to charge it. Shouldnt apple have a warning about this tho..??:confused:

newmanium

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
seems intermittent though. my ipod also gets just as hot as you describe, but after each charge i make it go through (with my imac on), it seems to heat up less and less. they're right by saying the hard drive continues to spin while connected to the computer and results in warming the ipod, but i believe it is still safe or Apple wouldn't be advertising it :)

my solution would be that whenever you plug in ur ipod, make sure it is on a cool, flat surface such as a desk or text book; something that will help dissipate the heat since it alot the heat from the processor comes out from the back of the ipod.

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Originally posted by buffsldr

When you close the top, the comuter will go to sleep...therefore you cannot charge your iPod!!!! ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

At any rate..... This is normal so don't worry about it.... it is supposed to get warm!!:D

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by xrhajj

When you close the top, the comuter will go to sleep...therefore you cannot charge your iPod!!!! ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

At any rate..... This is normal so don't worry about it.... it is supposed to get warm!!:D

Not warm, my friend, but hot enough to fry an egg on its chromated back.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
When I have my iPod plugged to my iBook to a wall and close the lid, the iPod ain't charging.

Yes, the iBook gets red hot after being charged via a computer. Big deal. Yes, I can see a darker contrast line, but big deal.

You can keep the iPod in a plastic bag in a refrigerator for 10 minutes to cool it down and not void the warranty. I've kept the iPod in a frig. for 5 minutes w/o a bag and for about 10 minutes in a bag, and nothing bad happened. You could probably keep the iPod in a freezer for a few minutes and not void the warranty. Just make sure the iPod is off, and keep it dry, or your iPod will get very cold very fast. :eek:

It's really nothing to worry about. :cool:

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by xrhajj

This is a non-sequitor. The fact you have given, "When you close the top, the comuter will go to sleep", in no way justifies your conclusion,"
When you close the top, the comuter will go to sleep...therefore you cannot charge your iPod!!!"

1) I can charge my ipod using my ibook, even when the ibook is sleeping. I do it often. I note that when I do this, the battery icon (top right of screen) is animated. I have observed that the battery is indeed recharged after being plugged into a sleeping ibook.

2) I recommend not charging your ipod off of your computer when it is not sleeping. My rationale is that all mechanical systems fail, why accelerate the process by excess wear? If you think the excess wear is negligible, consider the following. When playing your ipod, how much does the hard drive spin? In my experience, if I am playing songs continuously and not jumping from song to song, the hard drive spins for five seconds every 5 songs (or about every 15-20 mins). So in an hour, the hard drive spins about 15 seconds. Now consider if you plug your ipod into your computer (while it is not sleeping) for one hour. Your ipod's hard drive would spin for one hour. One hour of hard drive spinning while charging is approximately 240 hours of hard drive useage for an ipod being played continuously. Now, for most hard drives, you can find data on MTTF (Mean Time To Failure). This is a measure of the expected life of the part as measured by useage.

3) Somebody mentioned the warranty of your iPod. Have you checked how long (or I should say, how short) your ipod warranty is? Look it up, you may be surprised.

In conclusion, charging an ipod from your computer while it is not sleeping provides increased risk, with no advantage. It just isn't worth the risk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.