Does my iPod need replacing??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MVallee, Jan 1, 2009.

1. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

I've been having alot of problems lately with my iPod. Some times in the middle of a song it will freeze and stop playing. The home and sleep/wake button will not work and when I plug it into my MacBook iTunes recognizes it but it just says "syncing" until iTunes becomes unresponsive. I then have to force my iPod into recovery mode, reformat, and then it works again. But only for a few days until the same thing happens again.

This is obviously not normal but is this something I should be contacting Apple about? I got it last February so if it is I'd like to know before the warranty runs out.

I'm not trying to milk Apple for a new iPod or anything, but reloading 6,500 songs every fews days is annoying.

P.S. Would I be able to bring this to an Apple store? And would I have to wait for it to become unresponsive before I can complain, so that I have proof?

2. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Definitely bring in to an Apple store. It's not milking Apple to expect a functioning iPod. You don't need to wait for it to become unresponsive, just take it to the store and tell them your problem, and they'll take it in and do a diagnostic test and hopefully figure out what's wrong. If you live far away from an Apple store, try calling in first so you won't have to get there and find all the Geniuses booked.

3. MVallee thread starter macrumors 6502a

MVallee

Just updating to say that Apple indeed replaced my iPod. I told them the problem and even though it was working fine at the moment they took it back and gave me a new one (a new 1st Gen).

I'm very pleased and currently reloading my 6400 songs onto it.

:D

4. gjw4u macrumors 6502

Great to hear that Apple has another happy camper.
    BTW, why did you wait so long before aving the iPod replaced?

5. MVallee thread starter macrumors 6502a

MVallee

Well I kept restoring it and it would work ok for a while but it needed to be restored more and more frequently towards the end. I got sick of it. Thats when I was like "Guess I need to buy a new one" and then remembered it was still under the 1 year warranty.

The new one works great so far. Hasn't crashed once.

6. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

how long have you had it? maybe the battery was old??

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Anyways I completely agree that this is a valid problem with your ipod, I'm sure that if you take it into the apple store and maybe could demonstrate the problem to them, they would swap it out for a new one. It couldn't hurt to try. The worst they would say is "No sorry".