Does my Mac have a software or hardware based fault?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ArthurDaley, Mar 16, 2009.

1. ArthurDaley macrumors regular

A few months back my screen was bad when I opened up the MBP. It looked physically broken - see pic here http://twitpic.com/25g3h

But I flipped it over, removed battery, powered it back up and all was good.

Since then it only did it once more.

BUT yesterday it did it six times. And removing the battery did not work in one case and in another case it went to that broken look without even shutting the case (every other time it's happened on re-opening the case).

Any ideas?

2. ArthurDaley thread starter macrumors regular

Seems that Mac Book Pro's shipped with 8600 M cards had issues - guess it's time for the 2nd visit to a an Apple store in less than a year.

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Run the Apple Hardware Test. My 8600M failed, it came up in the hardware test.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhmm if its bringing up the same picutre as what yu provided then i would be taking it back and asking for a replacement. its a known problem so they have to.

5. ArthurDaley thread starter macrumors regular

Is Apple trying to pi$$ me off?

If you take a look at the photo link it's clear the MBP has a serious fault.

I called the store and told them it was upmost necessity to get the machine back ASAP. So they told me that if I had the machine to them by 1pm CET they would order the part meaning I'd have it back within 24 hours (and if you look at thread, it would appear to be a 8600M problem).

I got to the store and they said show them the fault. I asked how I could since it happened 6 times yesterday, previous to that once 3 weeks ago and previous to that once 2 weeks before that. They said they would not accept the machine unless I showed them a fault. We went round arguing in circles until after 1pm, meaning I knew the machine would be gone yet another 24 hours. I eventually broken the stalemate by showing them pictures of the display I took using my mobile phone. I seriously was left wondering what others would do without photos becuase the store was clearly saying they would not accept the machine. And even if the fault developed again it could clear by the time I got it to the store!

So I left the machine and was told all was good. Once I walked 2 out of the 2.5 miles home I got a call to say come and collect the machine as it's outside of warranty. I explained that it's the 16 March and I did not receive the machine until the 25 March 2008. They said their system said it was ordered in 13 March 2008 so they had to take that date. I said yes it was ordered on 13 March but even their own emails estimated shipping to be 25-26 March.

The store asked for proof. I sent them the emails from Apple with estimated shipping dates (FGS, it's Monday, last Friday was the 13th) and they replied back just now saying they would not accept the emails (their emails) as there was no serial number stated.

I can say at this point I am not too impressed by Apple customer service with my first MBP! But I do have to say they are miles better than Sony Vaio Support who suck harder than anybody ever could.

So is the Apple store trying to pi$$ me off or is this attitude/behaviour normal for Apple stores?

6. waiwai macrumors regular

Clearly Apple has beef with you because they did not repair your machine with expired warranty... urgh...

I know when I received my aluminum MB from FedEx, the packing slip had the serial # of the MB with the date of arrival. If you are able to find that slip, you can most definitely use that as proof to support your claim of receiving it on the 25th, but seeing that its been a year now since you got it, there is little chance that FedEx can recall the shipment from their computers to give you a receipt...

APPLE IS NOT OUT TO GET YOU.

You stated in your original post. It didn't just happen to you the other day... It's happened to you on numerous occassions for several weeks already and you decide to sit on it. Apple has no control over that. That's why whenever you encounter a problem you call them immediately to ask them if they can offer any assistance.

7. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Their wanting to see and understand the fault with your computer is perfectly understandable. How do you expect them to fix a problem if they don't know what's wrong in the first place? You yourself explained that it happened intermittently. That fault might not pup up for three days...

YOUR need t have the computer back ASAP does not trump everyone's need for the same. No one wants to be out their main/only computer for a week. However, get in line. Take it to another repair service or do it yourself if you expect premium service.

That being said, it sounds like the customer service in the store was not up to snuff. The Applecare expiry is an issue that should be taken up with Applecare directly. As for in-store behaviour, I suggest that you speak with a manager, politely explain the problems regarding photos and emails, and try to get them to help you from there.

8. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

9. ArthurDaley thread starter macrumors regular

I got sick of the Slovenian store and called Apple UK business. They told me it's not an Apple store but an authorised repair shop/reseller and they just sent the store this email:

This Customer date of Purchase is the 25/03/2009 as you can see on the records, and he has purchase APP, so could you please fix the Customer computer.

Lets hope that bucks this local place up a bit.

10. ArthurDaley thread starter macrumors regular

So nobody has said what is mean to happen if the fault only shows up once a month?

11. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Go to the store and tell them to run the hardware test. If you're graphics card is faulty, it'll show up.

12. ArthurDaley thread starter macrumors regular

they said the diagnostic tool said there was nothing wrong with the graphics card.

13. ArthurDaley thread starter macrumors regular

Just to let you know I've been told the problem with having distorted video (French impressionalist style) was due to a fault "logic board" - I assume they mean motherboard. After an absurd situation where the consumer site said the machine was in warranty but the service center "system" said no warranty for 24 hours, I should get the machine back tomorrow.