does my mac have a virus??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shk718, Feb 18, 2010.

1. shk718 macrumors 65816

I'm on an Apple iMac (intel version) running snow leopard. On feb 16 my yahoo email account was hacked. i found out because i received a mailer.daemon return receipt that an email for a pharmacy that "i" sent out (which i didn't), to everyone of my contacts, couldn't be delivered to some of them. i immediately changed my yahoo password. how did my account get hacked? i thought apples didn't get viruses. or is this a problem on yahoo's side - no one other than me has access to my computer. the day prior i received a weird email from a contact that i'm sure didn't send that said "voice mail from (one of my contacts) i stupidly opened it and it was an mp3 that didn't have a message on it. could i have opened my computer to a virus. thank you for you help.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No you do not have a virus
    There are not viruses for OSX

Your email was hacked
    Was it a result of the email you opened?
    Possibly

Changing your password has probably addressed the issue

Google email hacks and you likely find your answer
    It is a common problem

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Yawn :rolleyes:
    Mac's don't get virus's.

Sometimes I just think that these forums should auto-lock threads containing the words Mac and Virus in the same post, and just fill the OP's screen with the word "NO!".

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They don't but that doesn't mean none of your email or Internet accounts won't get hacked

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

6. shk718 thread starter macrumors 65816

its a really weird password that i don't think anyone could figure out - but obviously thats not the case

i should reword the title. i've never heard of a mac virus but this seemed really strange and i was wondering if opening the mp3 could have opened something up.

7. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

you need to look into creating a very secure password that is not a name/word and contains punctuation, numbers, capitals and lower case items

8. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

9. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

If there are no viruses for Mac, then explain these!

If there are no viruses for Mac, then how come that Apple Stores sell Norton's Antivirus for Mac? Why there is a software called iAntivirus for Mac?

There might not be a mainstream virus for Mac yet, but it's just a matter of time. Meanwhile, with this attitude, who knows what happens if the first big one will get released...

BANG!

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

11. shk718 thread starter macrumors 65816

how come some programs don't ask for the admin password? - when Adium installs an update it never asks me for my password - it asks if i want to download and install but i never have to enter a password.

12. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Could be a phishing attack. that sent the emails.

Macs don't get viruses? What about running a virtual PC on a Mac?

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

- Macs don't get viruses.

- Antivirus for mac is sold to the gullible people. Seriously. In very rare cases a university or business may require antivirus on every machine regardless of OS.

- You can not get a windows virus on a mac.

- If you have an infected file that you got from someplace and it has a virus on it, it wont do anything to your mac but could infect a windows machine if you transferred it from your mac to a windows machine.

- What happened to the OP is simply a hacked account. It happens to people all the time. It doesn't matter what OS you are on because it involves the attacker guessing a password.

14. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

15. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Would you rather go through an installer. Like a .pkg file for each software update done to your installed applications in the Applications folder?

There aren't any viruses like you know from the Windows-world.

I mention a pkg installer because that is the way I am presented with prefpanes and the like that requires password because they install in the /Library/ folder opposite the ~/Library/ folder

16. Gregg2 macrumors 603

apples and oranges

Why is there swamp land for sale in Florida?

Yeah, you're probably right. Anti-virus software needs to be constantly updated. Doing without, as I do, could be disastrous, someday. Maybe we'll have time to get something installed when the news comes that someone has created a virus for Macs.