Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
I'm on an Apple iMac (intel version) running snow leopard. On feb 16 my yahoo email account was hacked. i found out because i received a mailer.daemon return receipt that an email for a pharmacy that "i" sent out (which i didn't), to everyone of my contacts, couldn't be delivered to some of them. i immediately changed my yahoo password. how did my account get hacked? i thought apples didn't get viruses. or is this a problem on yahoo's side - no one other than me has access to my computer. the day prior i received a weird email from a contact that i'm sure didn't send that said "voice mail from (one of my contacts) i stupidly opened it and it was an mp3 that didn't have a message on it. could i have opened my computer to a virus. thank you for you help.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
No you do not have a virus
There are not viruses for OSX

Your email was hacked
Was it a result of the email you opened?
Possibly

Changing your password has probably addressed the issue

Google email hacks and you likely find your answer
It is a common problem

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Yawn :rolleyes:
Mac's don't get virus's.

Sometimes I just think that these forums should auto-lock threads containing the words Mac and Virus in the same post, and just fill the OP's screen with the word "NO!".

shk718

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
You probably had a crappy password.

its a really weird password that i don't think anyone could figure out - but obviously thats not the case

Yawn :rolleyes:
Mac's don't get virus's.

Sometimes I just think that these forums should auto-lock threads containing the words Mac and Virus in the same post, and just fill the OP's screen with the word "NO!".

i should reword the title. i've never heard of a mac virus but this seemed really strange and i was wondering if opening the mp3 could have opened something up.

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
you need to look into creating a very secure password that is not a name/word and contains punctuation, numbers, capitals and lower case items

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
If there are no viruses for Mac, then explain these!

If there are no viruses for Mac, then how come that Apple Stores sell Norton's Antivirus for Mac? Why there is a software called iAntivirus for Mac?

There might not be a mainstream virus for Mac yet, but it's just a matter of time. Meanwhile, with this attitude, who knows what happens if the first big one will get released...

BANG!

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"

shk718

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
There are trojans, but that is different and they require installation with the admin password

It is also possible to carry and pass on viruses for Windows

how come some programs don't ask for the admin password? - when Adium installs an update it never asks me for my password - it asks if i want to download and install but i never have to enter a password.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
Could be a phishing attack. that sent the emails.

Macs don't get viruses? What about running a virtual PC on a Mac?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
- Macs don't get viruses.

- Antivirus for mac is sold to the gullible people. Seriously. In very rare cases a university or business may require antivirus on every machine regardless of OS.

- You can not get a windows virus on a mac.

- If you have an infected file that you got from someplace and it has a virus on it, it wont do anything to your mac but could infect a windows machine if you transferred it from your mac to a windows machine.

- What happened to the OP is simply a hacked account. It happens to people all the time. It doesn't matter what OS you are on because it involves the attacker guessing a password.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
how come some programs don't ask for the admin password? - when Adium installs an update it never asks me for my password - it asks if i want to download and install but i never have to enter a password.

Would you rather go through an installer. Like a .pkg file for each software update done to your installed applications in the Applications folder?

There aren't any viruses like you know from the Windows-world.

I mention a pkg installer because that is the way I am presented with prefpanes and the like that requires password because they install in the /Library/ folder opposite the ~/Library/ folder

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
how did my account get hacked? i thought apples didn't get viruses.
apples and oranges

If Mac's do not get viruses PERIOD... then why is there so much anti-virus software available for mac...
Why is there swamp land for sale in Florida?

There might not be a mainstream virus for Mac yet, but it's just a matter of time.
Yeah, you're probably right. Anti-virus software needs to be constantly updated. Doing without, as I do, could be disastrous, someday. Maybe we'll have time to get something installed when the news comes that someone has created a virus for Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.