Does my Mac need a re-install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jophster, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Jophster macrumors member

Hi people....
    I love my mac, and I know people swear by them... but lately, things have just been falling apart on my mac...
    For starters, note the weird graphics on the dock in the attachment.
    Secondly, my mac doesn't always shut down, it sometimes stalls on the blue screen with the spiral thingy and other times it just stalls on a blank desktop.

Then I get other strange, irregular problems from time to time, I am wondering if I am doing something wrong or if I should just start again.

I have a RevA MBA, running Snow Leopard.

Thanks!
    Joe.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. whiteangel777 macrumors member

whiteangel777

hi,

i recommend, that you make a clone of your harddisk with carboncopycloner. (http://www.bombich.com/). after that you can install your mac and you can see, if it`s a problem of your OS or maybe even your profile! if you reinstall, make sure you boot from the install disk and remove all partition of your mac befor! otherwise mac osx put your old system in a folder at you harddisk and it can be that it takes data from your profile to your new installation!

pil

3. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

I'd suggest that what you're seeing is a hardware problem with the graphics card. I saw similar corruption on my Mac Pro, and it turns out that the graphics card had a problem with its cooling and cooked itself to death over a year or so.

If you do reinstall and the problem is still present, take it along to an Apple Store and see what they have to say.

4. Hmac macrumors 68020

Agree - problem with GPU is a more likely scenario.

Do the backup, do the reinstall. Run hardware test. If it's a Mac Pro, consider upgrading the graphics card. If it's an iMac or MacBook/Pro, better take it in.

5. whiteangel777 macrumors member

whiteangel777

how and with which tools would you run a hardware test?

6. Arrandale macrumors regular

looks like a graphics card issue to me

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

From your original Install Disks

8. Prospekt macrumors regular

It's a snow leopard bug. There was a thread that was a couple pages long before that showed the exact same issues and they were on different models as well. No one's really been able to figure out why some have it and most don't.

9. whiteangel777 macrumors member

whiteangel777

thanks, it`s more easy as you are adapted to in the windows-world!