Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Hi,
Just as the title suggests, I'm planning on having iCal run an automator script early in the morning...so my question is, if my mac is set to sleep after 15 min will it wake up at the scheduled time to run the script?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Hi,
Just as the title suggests, I'm planning on having iCal run an automator script early in the morning...so my question is, if my mac is set to sleep after 15 min will it wake up at the scheduled time to run the script?

Maybe.

You didn't identify your OS version or your Mac model, and power nap is only available for certain models and OS versions (see linked article). I suggest the simplest way to find out is to try it and see what happens.

If you don't want to test using your actual Automator script, make a test Automator script that does something definite and recognizable, such as creating a file or folder. Then look for that file or folder later, after it should have run.

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
I'm testing it now....but it's a late 2009 mini, running 10.8 - so no PowerNap.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I'm testing it now....but it's a late 2009 mini, running 10.8 - so no PowerNap.

Then it almost certainly won't wake to run the script.

In my years of experience with Macs, "power nap" is the first time an automatically scheduled wakeup feature has been provided. Before that feature, a wakeup could be scheduled, but it had to be done manually.

The two ways I know of to schedule a wakeup are:
1. System Preferences > Energy Saver > Schedule button
2. The 'pmset' shell command (pmset schedule or pmset repeat).
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/pmset.1.html

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Thanks for confirming....I half assumed I'd have to wake the machine then run the script.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.