Does my macbook pro need new thermal paste?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by littyboy, May 6, 2012.

1. littyboy macrumors 6502

Hey guys. I have a 2010 Macbook Pro i7 model. I upgraded the memory to 8GB. (Not sure if that matters)

I'm running my macbook through an 1080p external monitor with the lid of the macbook always open. Running on the latest version of Lion.

I think I'm having some temperature issues though.

On idle, with completely nothing running in the background, using istat, my CPU temperature is around 67-70 Celcius. With some work, the temperature jumps quickly into the 80s to almost 90. The fans would be spinning at 6000rpm, which appears to be its max.

If I bootcamp into windows 7 to play games (Diablo 3 or Dota 2 beta), the computer would randomly shut down to sleep mode due to overheating.

My brother, who has the same exact computer, but with a 900p external monitor, runs those games just fine and his computer has never shut down during.

Any thoughts?

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Blow out your vents with compressed air?

Laptops do tolerate much higher CPU temps, so your ranges aren't that far out. Though the random shutting down is a bit concerning, any way you can load test in OSX to see if it's a software issue?

3. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

My early 2011 MBP had this issue, it would get to 70C within seconds of booting, the Genius tried to tell me it was normal, but after grabbing a floor model and putting them side by side, we found the floor model staye around 40C even with Safari open with several tabs open.

They organised a replacement, but mine was brand new at the time.

I recommend, maybe take the bottom panel off, give it a blast with pressurised air (with the MBP off of course!) and make sure no dust is caked on fans, vents or chips, if it is, cautiously remove it avoiding touching the chips or getting sweat, water etc on the board.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not unless your computer is spontaneously shutting down due to overheating.

5. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

His computer IS shutting down due to heat.

Littyboy, did you buy the extended warranty?

6. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Sorry I might be a bit off topic. But I'm SO SICK of some of the Genius telling me this is normal etc... They're so USELESS and they don't know everything. This is not professional at all. They should be thinking from the user point of view. Some of them are very nice though, just lucks basically :)

Anyway, you're right! Clean up all the dust inside will helps.