Does my MacBook Pro need upgrading?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 12am, Feb 21, 2011.

1. 12am macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I'm about to buy the 17-inch: 2.66GHz MacBook Pro, which I'll be using primarily for web design and editing videos.

What I'm wondering is whether my Mac will be capable of running CS5 software as it is, without any problems, or if I should get it customised (with more RAM, etc) for it to run more smoothly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Doneaux macrumors member

You shouldn't have any problems, I've used many CS5 software on my 2GHZ, 4GB RAM 2006 Blackbook without issues.

3. 12am thread starter macrumors newbie

4. StuLax18 macrumors 6502

I've ran CS5 on my MB with 2.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM and it's not been too bad. I'm sure with your specs it will be much better.

5. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

For heaven's sake, can you wait a week? ;)

There will likely be a brand new 17" model out very soon -- and you'll have to wait 3-5 days for the current model anyway! While I don't know what the new model will have, I can 100% guarantee you that it will not run CS5 worse than the current model!

Never buy RAM upgrades from Apple. They charge 2x to 4x the current market price. Buy name-brand RAM in the aftermarket from (e.g.) macsales.com or newegg.com and install it yourself. (2x4GB kits to max out your MBP run ~$90 currently.)

Same pretty much goes for the hard drive as for RAM. Cheaper, better, and swapping it yourself doesn't affect your warranty. For both jobs, see ifixit.com for detailed instructions.

The things you SHOULD get when you order your MBP are the things that you can't (reasonably) change later -- primarily screen upgrades and processor upgrades.

Have fun!

6. Doneaux macrumors member

No problem! If anything you should try to upgrade to 8GB RAM for slightly faster performance! Do it yourself though, it's a lot cheaper.

7. 12am thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, guys, for your advice! Looking forward now to seeing what the new model has to offer :)