Does my MBP have a faulty video card?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HBOC, Dec 16, 2008.

1. HBOC macrumors 68020

ok here is the deal. I was using my computer today and had a kensington USB 2.0 hub connected to the computer to JB my iphone. the hub has a power cord, and also can get power from the MBP, as it was plugged in.

Well, i get this message popping up that said that it needed power to operate (the HUB). So i plugged in the powercord to it and the screen on my MBP flashed and now i have no screen. I am going to hook up the computer to my girlfriends monitor to confirm if it is the screen. I had an appointment at one of the apple stores here, as the one closer to my house always books up days in advance, but was running late (there is a nasty ice/snow storm up here in portland) and called the genius bar and they were fairly rude about me running late.

So i stopped by a Mac store (authorized reseller here) and he looked at it and thought it was the video card due to the fact that the computer was on, the battery completely charged. He heard the HD, but didnt hear it spinning.... he said it may be the card...

I made an appointment at the downtown store for tomorrow night. I leave for vacation on sunday and have stuff for school on the computer which i need before friday. What are the chances of them getting it fixed by the time i leave? this week has just been horrible. First i get rear ended ( i was going to drive to so cal. for xmas) and now my beloved MBP took a *****. Now my iphone is stuck in DFU mode as well:(

sorry this is soo long....

OH AND THE kensington HUB was bought at an apple store in Honolulu.

2. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

Man that sucks, sorry.

Try screen sharing if you can see your MBP on a second Mac around??

You can always try booting up your MBP in Target Disk Mode to get stuff off the drive. It should work even if the screen is broken.

Good luck!

3. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

yeah i tried to hook up the MBP to an external monitor and still nothing. Battery is fully charged and the light under the release for the monitor is lit uo but not flashing like it used to (or pulse is a better word).. i have an appointment tonight at the genius bar