Does my MBP need a screen protection?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boz0, Jul 18, 2007.

1. boz0 macrumors regular

As the happy owner of a 15" MBP, I've been religiously keeping the styrofoam sheet and putting it back in place each time I close the laptop.

Is this really necessary? Would the keys touch the screen without the foam?

I don't think they do when the laptop is simply laid somewhere stable, but maybe when carrying it around?

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Well, so far, my keys haven't touched my screen - when left still or carried around.

Ditch the sheet ;)

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I bought a tom bihn microfiber for which sits on the keyboard. Cost me $7, and eases my mind about grunge transferring.

4. pdra05 macrumors regular

I regret spending that A$29.95 on an EXiM screen protector for my 15" MBP.. and I ended up not using it on my screen. I don't think the keys will actually touch the screen so don't worry : )

5. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

Why in hell would someone buy a screen protector or a track pad protector or whatever ?! gee people!! its just a laptop come on >_<
    the keyboard ofcouse is designed to be flat and it for sure doesnt touch the screen... i think buying anything more than a laptop bag/sleeve is a WASTE of money....

6. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I have the same thing. My PowerBook had marks all over the screen from the keyboard hitting it, so I'll never make that mistake again. Yes, they were scratches, yes they were very noticeable, no they wouldn't come out.

Seems a few experts here might tell you different, though... :rolleyes:

7. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

the keyboard hitting the screen???? thats just something cannot happen?!
    or if its true then Apple is STUPID! its a huge hardware fault seriously :confused:

8. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Well, I guess Apple is stupid. :confused:

My wifes Dell has keyboard marks on it too, so I guess Dell is stupid too (although I think we all knew that).

9. L3X macrumors 6502a

my friends g4 Powerbook has keyboard marks on the screen.

I got the Tucano microfibre sleeve which comes with keyboard cover as well. It's a very soft suede type of material. They have them on the online apple store.

10. boz0 thread starter macrumors regular

It's just a laptop, true enough, but an expensive one. Besides, I wasn't specifically considering buying an extra protection, just wondering whether I should ditch the styrofoam sheet that came in with my MBP or continue to use it.

11. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Well I can see when the laptop is closed any sort of forcefull downward pressure on the lid in the keyboard region may cause the keys to come in contact with the lcd screen. I would guess only a freak accident would cause the keys to scratch the screen, but then again, with notebooks, that's all it takes. I still use the styrofoam insert that came included with my MBP, but that's just me. :)

12. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

well umm thats smart using the sheet that came in the laptop..>_>

13. Gandhi macrumors regular

I purchased the Marware protection pack plus - wrist cover, keyboard cover and sleeve. The keyboard keys made an impression on the LCD screen of my Thinkpad, so I am definitely not taking a chance on my MBP - especially with the glossy screen. I spent $2500 on the laptop - the extra $30 to protect it is worth it to me.

14. Zadillo macrumors 65816

Are you kidding? This is how almost all laptops work; when closed, the keys will touch the screen.

The general issue isn't so much an impression being made as much as that grease/etc. from the keys will be transferred to the screen. That is the general point of these keyboard/screen protector things.

15. Zadillo macrumors 65816

A good purchase.

I had this for my MacBook and it was really nice - nice quality of materials, etc.

To be clear, I don't think any laptops actually leave physical impressions from the keys on the screen. It's just that the grease/etc. from the keys will be transferred, so you see the shape of the outline of the keys on the screen.

-Zadillo

16. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

My old PowerBook did. Take into consideration though, that I traveled extensively with it--putting it into backpacks along with books and whatnot. Figure if the keys are up against the screen and there is even the smallest bit of flexing, eventually it will mark up the screen. I had that laptop for probably 4 years, took it with me almost every day--used it, but I try to take really good care of my stuff.

17. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Ok I don't know about the rest of you, but I brought my macbook pro to school every day for 4 months straight and never had any marks on the screen from the keyboard.

I carry it in a school bag designed especially for laptops.

I don't think there is much of a chance at all of this happening, so don't worry. I'd ditch the styrofoam sheet if I were you.

Anyway if this happened in powerbooks, it doesn't necessarily mean it happens in MBPs. They are different computers even though their casings are very similar.

18. noway macrumors regular

noway

I used to stick the foam padded sheet it came with in the MBP but after a while I got sick of it. Now I've never seen anything else than little dust on my screen and everytime I type on my keyboard, I make sure my fingers are clean.
    Not that I dont want to buy the 30$ pack but I think that it might force the closing lid (just like it did with the apple provided sheet) and I don't like that. Second thing is that if the screen gets scratched by the keyboard, I assume my Protection Plan will cover it since the problem is caused by a Apple hardware and not by a accident or abuse.
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

EDIT: Just get yourself a iKlear from Amazon or eBay.. (just cuz it's cheaper than Apple Store... its the same) I'm doing that !

19. PDE macrumors 68020

It's obviously a design issue that Apple addressed with the macbooks. It's hard to believe that after so many years of this design that they've not been able to solve the issue and think of a way of modifying the design to prevent this from happening.

The easiest solution? A piece of paper.

20. noway macrumors regular

noway

Wow he's so right. doesnt scrath your screen if its clean, its cheaper, and thinner than other products available...
    Good thought PDE.

21. PDE macrumors 68020

Thanks. I've been using paper for years and it works perfectly. I also feel less anal when I open up up my computer i front of people - I just remove the paper as if it was put there by mistake...

and... it's very very economical! Maybe I should market it the way radtech markets so those silly little rubber stoppers that cost nothing but are sold for $15. I can sell a pack of white 'special' macbook pro paper for 5 bucks/ten sheets.

22. klymr macrumors 65816

I've done this also on occasion. The only problem I have...the papers slide around in there. It does work pretty good though.

23. McGiord, Feb 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I'm just waiting for the soon to be released MBP and I do remember that one of my father's G4 powerbooks had that keyboard marking the screen issue, and he kept a protector to avoid it.
    I think that was a major design issue that nowdays must not be happening.

I share a MacBook with my wife and it doesn't have any issue like that.

I will not put anything between the keyboard and the screen, if anything happen is because there is either a quality or reliability issue with the MBP, and :apple: must repair it within the warranty period.

Some people make a good business selling those kind of "protectors", apple care, best buy/circuit city extended warrranty coverage type of products.
    And some other people keep their plastic covers on their car seats to avoid damaging them....whackos!
    ________
    FJ1100

24. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I have my MBP since June. I do carry it around many places, mostly in my backpack with tons of books in it.

I have had they "shadow marks" of the keys on the display- but its nothing that a screen wipe could not take it off.

Every week, I just wipe the screen off, and the key marks go away. Getting scratches from the keys must require some really drastic pressure on the top of the notebook.

25. Macsleuth macrumors member

It's happened to a lot of diff manufactors over the years

My TiBook had marks on the screen after a while, from oils on my fingers, transfered to keys, to screens.
    So I used a sheet of paper, changed it every now and then.
    Also bought a screen protector, but used paper more often than screen protector, just easier. And if you forget the paper one day, you can grab one anywhere.
    Was really pissed when i first noticed it.
    But after some research, I found out a lot of laptops had this issue, (for years).
    So, a few pennys, or a few bucks,, it's worth it if you want a clean looking screen or you just like to care of your stuff.
    G