Does my mid 2007 MBP have a PATA optical disc drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Benito, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

I'm wondering if my mid 2007 2.2ghz 15" MBP has a PATA optical disc drive? The reason I am wondering this is because I was hoping to do a HD upgrade. I had wanted to remove the optical drive and in its place install an Intel X-25 80 G SSC. However, if the optical drive bay uses PATA, I assume I won't be able to do as I had planned. I would have to install the SSD into the current HD bay, but then would I be able to install the current HDD into the optical bay with that PATA connection? Would that PATA connection make for really slow reading of the HDD?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If (most probably) P-ATA, look into Applications / Utilities / System Profiler > Hardware > ATA.

If S-ATA, look into Applications / Utilities / System Profiler > Hardware > Serial ATA.

3. Benito thread starter macrumors 6502

Benito

Thanks for that, it seems that I have ATA not SATA on my optical bay. So does what does that mean for my planned upgrade? I assume I'll have to install the SSD in the SATA equipped bay and then move my HDD into the PATA equipped optical bay. Will that mean there will be a bottleneck in the optical bay location?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know of any P-ATA to S-ATA connectors, but as P-ATA is still able to transfer more than 100MB/s, the HDD will not be the bottleneck, as it mostly tops out at 75MB/s (5400RPM) or 95MB/s (7200RPM).

Look at Newegg or MacSales or the online retailers of your choice to find a S-ATA to P-ATA bridge.

Also MRoogle might help you to find similar threads to yours.