Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hoangcong

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
My macbook pro seems to have less ability to catch my router wireless signal than my old asus a8jp.

I love my mac but I want to know if it is normal or not?
Maybe I should return it to be inspected?

I live in my uncle's house but in his granny flat his at around 150 meters away (through 2 walls) and I sometimes get from 1 to 3 bars of signal and the signal sometimes get lost and I get disconnected :(

On my asus I was getting 80% to 90% signal.

Anyone can give me some advice?
Thanks guys :)

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
My macbook pro seems to have less ability to catch my router wireless signal than my old asus a8jp.

I love my mac but I want to know if it is normal or not?
Maybe I should return it to be inspected?

I live in my uncle's house but in his granny flat his at around 150 meters away (through 2 walls) and I sometimes get from 1 to 3 bars of signal and the signal sometimes get lost and I get disconnected :(

On my asus I was getting 80% to 90% signal.

Anyone can give me some advice?
Thanks guys :)

Ah... The lacking in signal could be caused by one of few things...

Either the antenna (located at the clutch of the MBP) isn't working correctly and the aluminium is seriously getting in the way!

Alternatively, you can try moving the MBP, your router, or both?
To a different direction, this can sometimes help.

I'm thinking, if there's a fault with the Airport Card, you wouldn't be receiving a signal at all!! One thing you can do to verify it's not faulty, is to visit a AppleStore and have one of the Geeks/Genius's checks it out.

Supermunki

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
New Zealand
What you need is an airport express (Sorry unhelpful I know). They cost about $100 and they have far better range and speed than a wireless G router. Of course if your router is a wireless N then I stand corrected.

hoangcong

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Thanks for the insight,
The router i bought is a belkin pre-N.
Last time i checked it had one of the best range available on the market.
I cannot move the router because it stands in my uncle's living room and plugged to a sip phone device and 2 computers via lan.

edit: right now i have 3 bars of signal but sometimes it will drop to 1 to none.
Thats why i am a bit puzzled by all that :(

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Thanks for the insight,
The router i bought is a belkin pre-N.
Last time i checked it had one of the best range available on the market.
I cannot move the router because it stands in my uncle's living room and plugged to a sip phone device and 2 computers via lan.

edit: right now i have 3 bars of signal but sometimes it will drop to 1 to none.
Thats why i am a bit puzzled by all that :(

Depending on the version of MBP you have...
Newer systems, have a rubber & aluminium clutch - Supposed to improve wifi antenna reception.
Older versions only have a aluminium clutch - this affects the the wifi antenna, reducing the signal.. a little.

Hmm.. Looking at mine for the last minute, it's also seems to be 2-3 bars only, seldom it's full.. but seems to function fine! In your case, perhaps you need something, like an APE (airport express) to boost the strength?

hoangcong

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Depending on the version of MBP you have...
Newer systems, have a rubber & aluminium clutch - Supposed to improve wifi antenna reception.
Older versions only have a aluminium clutch - this affects the the wifi antenna, reducing the signal.. a little.

Hmm.. Looking at mine for the last minute, it's also seems to be 2-3 bars only, seldom it's full.. but seems to function fine! In your case, perhaps you need something, like an APE (airport express) to boost the strength?

I don't know if mine is older or newer but I bought it off a mac store 1 month ago.
Is there any way to know which one im using?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.