does my new mac pro have a 3yr warranty? (HE)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by arcsbite, Jan 21, 2008.

1. arcsbite Guest

I bought a new mac pro (8x2.8) and it arrived today (3 days from ordering!)
    The thing is...I got it through the Higher Education online store, so it hasn't come with any paperwork.

I bought a quad 2.66 last year, it came with 3yr limited parts and labour via the HE store and the option to upgrade to Applecare for about £58.
    I took out the extra applecare and when I put my serial into the apple support page it told me I had a 3yr warranty.

This time around I opted out of the applecare as I never used the old one, but I was advised I would still get the HE 3yr limited warranty.
    when I put my details in at the webiste it says it's only got a 12 month warranty. :confused:

I called applecare and he said it was covered for 3 years and that it would kick in after the 1st 12 months, but I'm not sure I believe him, plus he said he'd email me confirmation this morning and nothing has arrived.

any ideas?
    thanks

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

A friend of mine just got his new Mac Pro (not educational discount) and he said that his came with 3 years warranty .. :)

3. peejack macrumors 6502a

You still need to order applecare but you only pay like £58 for it.

4. TheThirdMan macrumors regular

TheThirdMan

All HE macs come with a 3 year warranty. This differs only slightly from the applecare warranty in that it has a limited parts and labour, which means apple will only replace parts up to a certain cost.

Upgrading to the Applecare (at a reduced rate) removes this barrier.

And you can trust me on this because i work for apple in the HE education sales dept.

5. arcsbite thread starter Guest

ahh, things appear clearer.

do you know what this cost limit is? it it worth worrying about?
    also, do you know where I can check my HE warranty status? I have been sent no confirmation in regards to it and i'm worried something will go wrong is month 15 or something and I'll find out i'm not covered.

thanks

6. hkarlsen macrumors member

off topic, I know, but just wanted to boast about great Norwegian buyers rights. We get in effect 5 years protection against hardware failure, because the Mac Pro must be regarded as a "expensive product, which must be expected to last 5 years". This is makes it almost worth it buying a machine like this at home, regardless of the hefty pricing Apple has here.

:)

7. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

What do you mean ALMOST worth buying ...... :eek:

LOL .. :)

8. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

k

this is not how i understand it when i spoke with apple they said the only difference was that if you upgraded to Full applecare you 56 telephone support so where this limited parts comes in i dont know ??