Does my new macbook have an i.LINK terminal - Please help?!?!?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kylied81, Dec 26, 2008.

1. kylied81 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am trying to work out how to copy some tapes that I have recorded on my sony DCR-HC30/E handycam onto my computer to burn onto DVDs.

I have worked out how to copy the memory stick using the USB cable, but it does not work for the tapes. I have read that I need to get an i.LINK cable, and have looked through my sony handbook and found there are 2 that I can get, which has made me very confused. I don't want to buy one if I can't use it on my mac, and if I can use it on my mac, I want to know which one I need?

Or does anyone know another way of downloading my tapes onto the computer?

Thanks for any help you can give,
    Kylie

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

i.Link is also known as "Firewire", and many Mac computers come with it. To determine if your Mac has Firewire though, we need to know what model of computer it is.

You mentioned this is your "new MacBook", the question is -- how new? If it's the brand new, silver aluminum unibody MacBook, it does not. If it's the previous model (white or black plastic) MacBook, it does.

And, for that matter, if it is the previous model -- you'll need what's called a "4 to 6 pin" Firewire cable, they look like this. You can pick them up at BestBuy or RadioShack, but they'll really overcharge you there -- probably selling them for $30! If you've got time, you may want to get one online, which will be much cheaper.

3. lostless macrumors 6502

If you have the newest aluminum (not white plastic) macbook, I hate to say this, but the new macbook has no iLink/firewire port. It has caused much frustration to many mac pro/casual users looking to buy a new macbook. Unfortunately there is no work around. A whole thread here with over 2000 posts http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=583377 describes the dilemma apple has created.

4. kylied81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the link and info, I have just bought the new MacBook (silver) so I guess there is no way of loading my tapes from my handycam onto it. Boo! It costs so much to get it done in shops! I have a white Macbook also, can I somehow download the films onto it and transfer it to my silver Macbook? I don't have a DVD burner on my white Macbook!
    Thanks

5. Gold89 macrumors 6502

Just put them in a shared folder on the white macbook or use a usb stick to transfer them ;)