Does my Powerbook 1400 have a G3 upgrade?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by livingfortoday, Oct 11, 2007.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Hi everybody, I have a quick question.

I recently bought a Powerbook 1400c/166 on eBay, and while I was looking through System Profiler, saw it said it was a 67Mhz PowerPC G3. Now, I know that's not right. So I popped it open, and took a look at the CPU.

The processor says IBM PPC750L-GB500B3 on it, but has no other markings. Now, I'm going to make a guess and assume this is a G3 upgrade card? I can't find any specific info on this anywhere online, so I turn to you. The only things I can find is desktop CPU cards with the same markings, but they're 500Mhz G3's. Did they even make 500Mhz G3's for the Powerbook?

Anyone have any good guesses?

Update:
    Ok. So I turned on the extension for a Sonnet Crescendo (missed that the first time through!) and now it says it has a 233Mhz G3 in it. From what I can tell, Sonnet never made a G3 upgrade that slow for the 1400, and this is most likely a 466Mhz upgrade which shows up as a 233Mhz in the System Profiler. Apparently Sonnet uses some sort of "bus doubler" to get the 466Mhz. I'm not sure.

Anyone know any more than what I've dug up?

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

PPC750 = PowerPC 750 a.k.a. "G3" or processors powering the third generation of PowerPC Macs, following the 603/604, which themselves followed the 601.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC_G3#PowerPC_740.2F750

Also, the purple board color is Sonnet's trademark.

Apple System Profiler does not do any actual calculations on anything. It bases all of it's information on Gestalt values, which I won't go into here. Sonnet drivers include a utility called "Metronome" - this will report your actual CPU speed.

This will also probably tell you the correct speed.

You probably have a 466, in which case, lucky you.

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yup, you've got a G3. And the CPU is rated for 500 MHz, but the 1400 won't run it at that, so it is probably running at 466. System Profiler just doesn't know what to make of such a big number!

4. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Awesome, thank you both for that. I'll have to see if I can't find a way to get those programs onto a floppy and get 'em on the Powerbook to verify that it's the 466Mhz CPU. Either way, I guess it's a pretty lucky find, and I'm damn happy to have it!

Time to get the rest of the computer up to speed!

5. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030