Does my wife qualify for the education discount?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kalaheo, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Kalaheo macrumors member

Long time lurker here. I did plenty of searching to find the answer here, but couldn't. I am about to pull the trigger and switch to Mac. My wife switched a year ago; I can't take it anymore. My PC actually froze up 2 days ago while trying to post a question here. No joke. I have many questions about my new purchase, but before I get to those I better make sure she qualifies for the education discount. She has been teaching for 3 semesters at a college that qualifies for a discount. She's not teaching this summer and she's taking this upcoming fall semester off, but plans on teaching the following spring. She still has a valid email address at the school. So, do you think she qualifies? Thanks in advance.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

She most def. qualifies. Fall enrollment is all that is needed. Also, they have been not so hawkish when checking sometimes just asking "are you a student" to verify. But the email address, I.D. or registration will surely verify.

3. Buzz Bumble Guest

There is one catch to "educational discounts". You are NOT allowed to use the purchases to run a business. That means your wife can not buy a Mac and software at educational pricing and then use it to run her own secretarial / DTP / etc. business from home and can not buy a Mac and software to give (or sell) to you to use in your work's office.

As well as students / teachers / lecturers at schools, colleges / universities, and techical instutions, many registered non-profit / not-for-profit community organisations and government departments also qualify for "educational pricing". Plus of course anyone buying Microsoft Office for home use qualifies for the cheaper Home / Student version.

4. Kalaheo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies, but she is not teaching this fall. She'll be teaching in the spring.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

If she can log into the school Web site, most stores will accept that as proof.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

My father is a teacher and when he bought a Mac, he just brought a pay stub and his teacher ID and they gave him the educational discount. This was in an Apple Store though, he hasn't bought a Mac online, so I can't tell you about that.

7. crotalus99 macrumors regular

My wife is going back to school in the fall. I bought a macbook pro and cinema display for her tonight and the only thing the online mac store asks is for you to check a box stating that you qualify according to their policy.
    The did not ask for any proof so I think you are fine.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Many people that just college student link have reported only being asked if they were in college, but there are some reports of requiring documentation. It's random.

9. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

I work at a college and all I needed was my ID.