Does Navigon use data?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by djsound, Jun 22, 2010.

1. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

My gf has a real navigon gps unit in her car and its great...I am guessing the one for iphone is similar but...does it use data from your data plan? The real GPS unit doesn't have to have any account it just uses the satellite...

2. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

I don't think so because I use TomTom on my iPod touch when it has no WiFi connection. But using Google local search and Live Traffic does require data. If you want to be safe I'm pretty sure you can turn off data in 4.0.

3. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

I don't really want to turn off data..I want to be able to use the Navigon GPS :) I am just wondering if it uses data....or satellite for free

4. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

oh. I'm not sure 100% sure about Navigon, sorry. But I think it should be fine as long as you don't use Google Local Search or Live Traffic.

5. globalist macrumors 6502a

Yes navigon uses your data, although just a small amount. It does so for aGPS (assisted GPS) where it attempts to get a quick location fix by triangulation using cell network towers.

No way to turn this off in options which is a bit of a shame.

6. jetoo macrumors member

TomTom can't either.
    I cannot use TomTom abroad. I need to turn on roaming data.
    It's a shame.

7. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

That stinks. I was so excited to get it on the new iphone...I guess I'll stick to using my gf's real Navigon since its free....they should really change it...somehow =)

8. mrjayd macrumors regular

Where is the new version?

I never got prompted for an update yet.

9. RoarinRow macrumors regular

RoarinRow

The Panoramic View does not work in the new OS. You have to change it to something like 3D to make the screen change from black to the regular map view.

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Navigon does not use data unless you are using the live traffic option or Google local search. All its map and routing data are stored locally (that's why it is such a huge download). iOS' Location Service uses a small amount of data to speed the initial GPS satellite fix by finding your rough position by cell-tower triangulation. This is what is meant by aGPS. This is really a trivial amount of data, probably not more than checking your email.

11. sjdigital macrumors regular

But assisted GPS makes a big difference to getting an initial fix. When I'm abroad, I turn off data roaming and in consequence it is very slow to first fix.

12. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

I live in Canada and we go across the border to Seattle quite a bit.That is mostly when we use her Navigon. If we had to pay for roaming it would be WAYYY to expensive.. :(

13. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Correct.

Yes, but it's not required. So if you turn off data roaming it still works. That was the question. :)

14. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

sweet!! thank you =)

edit - while on the subject of GPS....I am going to get a iphone 4...can you guys recommend a good car kit for this? I want a very minimal one....do they all have to be in front of the window? I'd prefer one lower down by the stereo or something if possible. I have a bmw 330. Do the car kits also charge your phone while docked?.....Id also like the Navigon girl that talks to come through my car speakers if that is possible...I know, a lot of 'wants' hehe.... I thought I'd ask in this thread rather than start a new one since we are on the subject of GPS on iphone. thanks