Does Network make a difference when transferring data?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Peter Franks, May 17, 2013.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Have moved to a different provider because EE/Orange has gone down the pan where I live and they have removed masts making my signal barely there and I now have no 3G.

Great takeover EE. Orange was fine till you and T Mobile came along, now I can't make a call at home or get 3G.

Anyway....

...... Just wondered if my back up on iTunes from an iP4 will move over smoothly to a new iP5, and also changing the phone networks too?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you restore via OTA then I recommend you doing so on your home wifi network. It will be slow doing an OTA restore regardless, possibly worse so if you're on just a 3G network. If you're talking about plugging your phone into your computer and restoring your new iPhone with your old iPhone data, then the network has zero bearing on how fast it will work.

How did you intend to transfer data? OTA while home on your home wifi or OTA from iCloud while out and about?

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

hi, thanks for the reply.

I usually plug into the MacBook with iTunes for back up and updates, but it never seems to go off without some sort of hitch, but have a feeling the old phone network will cut off the iP4 with number to be transferred, before I can transfer to the new network on the 5, if that makes sense?

4. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

I would personally start fresh and not load an iPhone 4 backup to an iPhone 5. I would let iCloud restore apps and some data like pics and contacts but I would set up emails and notifications manually. Usually good to start great.

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Really, is 4 to 5 not a successful route usually?
    I don't use iCloud, can I not just choose contacts/Photos from plugged in back up from iTunes also?

6. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Last iPhone update - Safari Bookmarks, why?

I turned off the update to sync bookmarks from my MacBookPro, but now on the iPhone, I have bookmark bar, bookmark menu folders that I now can't delete, Why won't it get rid of them and why did it copy them from the MBP? What use is the Bookmark bar on the iP4? Other folders I could delete but not these. Any idea? I know I'm late in updating the software update, but that's what caused this tonight

7. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

As a side note, and can someone please tell me why after a back up, the iPhoto is only showing backed up photos from September 2012, and not the updated ones from the phone backed up last night?