Does New iPhone Mean MacBook Pro Delay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MetBook, May 13, 2008.

1. MetBook macrumors member

I believed that we would all see a new MacBook Pro unveiled at WWDC but I'm becoming more and more skeptical as it seems like the iPhone will consume Apple's objectives. The iPhone stock has gone down, the WWDC event is coming up, AT&T is working hard to prepare... does this make anyone believe that we might not see the MacBook Pro line until August or later in 2008? (Same goes for the MacBook).

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I agree that a lot of time and energy has been focused on the iPhone for WWDC. We know they will cover the new iPhone, the SDK, software version 2.0, and the App store. I think it is very possible that a new MacBook pro could be Steve's "there's just one more thing" this year. Though I agree that the possibility is getting slimmer by the day of a new MacBook pro but it would make for a really nice surprise amongst the hype surrounding the iPhone stuff.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're looking a little too deep into this.

None of us really expect an update this soon after the February one but it's possible.

4. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

An update HAS to come soon as Intel wont be making the Penryn anymore, so Apple will have to do something. Im hoping that they are updated in June, as i need one by July.

5. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

Wasn't the line just updated? Why would you expect it so soon?

6. JTK28 macrumors member

The next speculated update has nothing to do with Penryn. Penryn is the name of the processor which they just upgraded from Merom. The next upgrade will be one that deals with the chipset. It will be an upgrade from Santa Rosa to Montevina.

Please do a little research before making blanket statements.

For example this thread...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=437081

7. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I think it's a pretty safe assumption that the iPhone dev team and the Mac Pro dev team are seperate entities and work independantly of each other.

So enhancements on one should not delay another. Apple isn't a garage company anymore, they have dedicated teams.

I know they pulled Leopard programmers away to work on iPhone software which caused that delay but I don't think this is the case between computer and phone.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Don't forget the iPhone runs a condensed OS X Mobile and it's a similar code-base. There is no way a MBP engineer will be working on the iPhone unless we're expecting a Apple tablet computer.

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

My point exactly. Per the title of this thread, I honestly do not believe that one product impacts the delivery of another. They're developed by 2 different teams/departments/etc so why would one team say "hmmmm lets sit around on our asses and wait until the iphone is released, then we'll start work on the MBP"

A more common business model would be work on both release when each one is ready, if the MBP is ready first then fine, if the iPhone is ready first fine, when the MBP people get done, it'll be released.

/changechannel

10. alxths macrumors 6502

I have similar concerns. Not about the iphone distracting apple from getting the mbp's out, but about the fact that we've heard so much about the new iphone, whereas there've been almost no news about new laptops lately. Just the stuff way back in march that was fairly unspecific timeline-wise.

There was an article on appleinsider awhile back that referenced someone who supposedly worked at a factory in taiwan saying that apple ordered some new macbook enclosures, but I feel like we'd be getting more rumblings about new notebooks at this point if they were indeed coming out at wwdc.

Is there any precedent for major updates happening without any real foreknowledge in the rumor community?

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I think the macbook pro will just be a silent bump and the nehalem will have it introduced with the new redesign.

12. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I know about all the different processors, but when intel stop making penryn chips, apple will be forced to update there laptops, and (maybe even the iMac...) switch the mobo to support montevina

13. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

Penryn will still be used by montevina. Anyone who has ever read a single thread about it can tell you that :D

I think if apple only had maybe 10 engineers that I'd expect a 'delay'. We'll see an update in or before June. I guarantee it*.

*i hope so anyway