Does new MBP get really warm?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nph, Dec 1, 2008.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

Compared to last gen which feels really hot in the stores.

Does it get hot so you cant use it on you lap?

Thanks

2. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I'd like to know this too...

My Alum Macbook seems cooler than my BlackBook. My old MBP would get too hot to keep on my lap without sitting it on something. I hope some new owners weigh in on this one...

3. ManWithhat macrumors regular

My new MBP gets hot when gaming. Doing anything else like surfing (on the 9600 or 9400) never gets uncomfortable.

In comparison with my Dad's last-gen MBP, this one runs cooler.

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

On the new MBPs, the heatpipe was rearranged and flipped over, it's now between the logic board and the keyboard, instead of the logic board and your lap. The keys make a fairly good insultator and keep your hands clear of the metal....just don't touch the metal between the keyboard and the screen.....especially right above F3. It also gets a little warm by the vent, but not too bad unless you are wearing shorts (or a miniskirt, I guess. I wouldn't know)

On a related note, this flipped over heatsink/fan plus the new "user-detachable" bottom plate makes dusting the fans a whole heckuva lot easier.

5. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I used to have a 1st generation MacBook Pro (Core Duo 2.0Ghz) and it got craaazy hot on the bottom to the point where it felt uncomfortably hot, even mildly burning if it touched my skin. My new MacBook Pro doesn't even feel slightly warm during normal use (I have it sitting on my bed just web browsing). The only time it would even get slightly warm is if it's on and charging, or if the CPU is under very heavy use.

Very impressed!