does nike+ work when I am running on usual cardio(treadmill) machine?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MySaturdaySelf, Jun 1, 2009.

1. MySaturdaySelf macrumors member

I understand that they have new machines which can sync with the ipod itself..
    but if i just use the sensor, will it still record the miles? i don't know how it works so maybe this is a stupid question. :eek:

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

By "cardio machine," do you mean a treadmill? It seems to depend... I've tried it before, and the results were reasonably accurate -- that is, comparable in accuracy to running outside or perhaps only slightly less accurate. My ex-gf tried hers on her treadmill and it was off by nearly a factor of 2x. I've heard other people say both what I experienced and what she experienced, and I'm not sure if it's due to typical running speed, running gait or form, or....

3. MySaturdaySelf thread starter macrumors member

yes. treadmill.. sorry for the typo.

that's interesting to know.. but the ability to sync and see the accumulated effort i put is good... hope our apartment could have better treadmill replacement next year. :p

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Personally, I don't experience any difference in accuracy between running outdoors and on the treadmill with my Nike +iPod. It seems to stay right in line with the distance measurements on the treadmill as well.

5. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I've had varying results on treadmills. While never wildly off, the readings are never as accurate as running outdoors.

And before anyone asks, Nike+iPod doesn't work on elliptical machines.

6. retroneo macrumors 6502a

7. retroneo macrumors 6502a

From the Nike+iPod site:

"Jump on a Nike + iPod compatible treadmill, elliptical machine, stair stepper, or stationary bike."

- http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/workout.html

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Only if the equipment is designed to be compatible with the nike+ and iPod.

In most cases at an ordinary, run of the mill gym with dated equipment there is no way the nike+ can function accurately.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Right, this is why I asked what was meant by cardiac machine. It seems to work properly on a treadmill with the sensor (not with the compatible machine), but I don't think it would work properly on an elliptical unless it was the special ones. Actually, though, I've never tried this. I kind of hate ellipticals. :eek: