Does no headphone jack mean wireless charging and waterproof phone this year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Apr 21, 2016.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Thats some of the rumours people have said..would this make sense?

2. noobinator macrumors 601

No, it means no 3.5mm headphones without a lightning to 3.5mm adapter that Apple will gladly sell you for $29.

3. Prof Farnsworth macrumors member

Prof Farnsworth

Anything is possible. Chances are though, to parrot others on this site, the removal of the headphone jack is to make it thinner or to allow for more internal space.

I haven't seen any rumors that include wireless charging. everything I've seen seems to suggest that the lightning port will also be used for the charging and headphone. I'd post sources, but can remember where I was reading that (other then on here)

4. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

thought there was talk of some wireless charging can't find the link though. Would hope apple do move in that direction to at least make some worthwhile upgrades.

5. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

No wireless charging I don't think. (In my opinion, wireless charging is nothing special as you still need to plug in the charger to the mains, might as well just keep it how it is.)

The Lightning Connector will be used for charging and audio. I really hope Apple will ship the iPhone 7 with WIRELESS headphones but it's looking like they'll ship with new EarPods with a Lightning Connector.

6. cola79 macrumors regular

Every streaming service is going high def sooner or later and they shall use the audio connection with the worst quality and highest power drain?

A thinner phone is also on the edge what people might tolerate. Take your credit card and hold it to your ear-that is not comfortable, only when lying on a table.

If Apple is clever, they force wifi headphones, Bluetooth is an ancient technique.

7. BSben macrumors 6502a

Wireless charging is currently still more a gimmick, in fact you can hold your phone and use it when charging with a cable, but when you charge 'wireless' the phone has to sit on the charger. It would be more convenient than the dock though.
    And there are phones with a headphone jack that are waterproof, but waterproof would be a good feature as accidents happen.

8. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

well the fast wireless charging stand samsung have for the S7/Edge looks rather good and you don't need to worry about plugging in the cable at the bottom of your phone when you go sleep. If anything fast charging makes it worth it.

9. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

No headphone jack doesn't mean it'll be water resistant. My Galaxy S7 Edge has a headphone jack and it's still water resistant. You have to think about all the other openings in the phone, like the earpiece, speaker, microphones, charging port, etc. where water can still get in if the entire phone wasn't designed to be water resistant.

10. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

One with pass through charging for each car. One for each person in the home to use with our better headphones. There's another $100+ on top of an expensive phone.

11. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Rumours have stated that, but I don't think the rumours of no headphone jack make it any more likely.

Doubt it has anything to do with thickness. The iPod Nano is 5.4mm thick and has a headphone jack.