Does not having OIS on the 6 bother you?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reksy, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Reksy macrumors member

I'm thinking of switching to iOS for my phone. I tried a 6Plus last year, was too big and slippery, apps werent ready, was scared about bendgate.

I'm on a note 4 (which i'm disliking its size and the software side of it), and I'm finding a few drawbacks to the 6S
    Screen Res - I can probably deal with this as its still over 300PPI so not totally noticeable and may just be my spec-obsession making me think about it
    Camera - No OIS, most of my pics are taken at night or low light
    Battery - They shrunk it for the 6s, and I hear the 6's battery life is a bit difficult, you definitely need to charge it through the day.

What are your thoughts? If it had OIS, It'd be an insta buy..but I'm right now torn between the 6S, a possibly decent Nexus 5X, and just dealing with this Note 4 until next year.

2. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

If a high screen resolution, OIS and a larger battery are important to you, then you're better off with a Nexus 5X.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Buy and try for 14 days.

Ois is good (I have a plus) but due to vast software improvements the 6 dosnt suffer really.

As for battery hmm I don't know. My plus lasts more than a day. I've never run short and people I know with a 6 aren't far behind.

4. Reksy thread starter macrumors member

I was looking at the 6S more. When i tried the 6Plus last year though , it's battery was mind blowing. 18 hour day, 60% left over.

The plus though is bigger than a Note 4 :(. One hand-ability on iOS really lacks to compared to android, cause it has the back/task switcher buttons.

Interesting note about the software improvements, I've seen some reviews thought that show a difference with low light thats noticeable (maybe only when compared side by side though..)

5. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

I'm going to miss OIS. I have it in my G4 and it really helps in low light and videos.

6. noobinator macrumors 601

you know.......apple does offer this option :D

7. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

Yeah, but My G4 is already too big, so the 6s+ is way too big.

8. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

Can you not grab a Galaxy S6? Has OIS and a jolly good camera.

I do think once you go superamoled, you can't go back. Especially if the screen res is only 720p!

9. Reksy thread starter macrumors member

C
    Touchwiz is awful. Custom roms will not support half the features of the device too, like the fingerprint sensor. Battery life on the S6 seems to lack as well. Oh and Samsung abandons devices verrry quickly and are slow to update.

10. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

Battery life has never been an issue for me really. It almost always lasts me a full day and turning on "low power mode" helps a fair bit as well. I use my phone a lot and generally only charge it at night after 12-15 hours of being off charge. I have a battery case that I use to top it off if I absolutely have to which is rare, but it is nice security.

I have personally never had a blurry image. I was a photographer for quite a while so I might just be used to not having OIS or maybe I have a steady hand, but it has never been an issue at all for me. Pretty sure the 6s will be perfectly fine.

If I barely use this 6 it is still at 75-80% after a full day. I wouldn't worry about it. I can't imagine the battery life being less for the 6s. I have no issues with the screen quality either. Can't see the pixels unless you rest your face on it.

I think you are really overthinking it. I would try it out if possible and return it if you aren't happy or wait until the 25th and play with a friends to see if you are ok with it before putting any cash toward it.

11. mproudfoot macrumors member

mproudfoot

With or without OIS, a tiny sensor like those found in smartphones is never going to produce pin-sharp, low noise images. In decent light, OIS will make little to no difference. It could help in certain situations but I wouldn't factor it into any decision between the 6S or the 6S+