Does NOT Ship With Lion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by spooktheherd, Jul 23, 2011.

1. spooktheherd macrumors newbie

I ordered my new base 21.5" iMac today via phone and was told that there still not shipping with lion pre-installed, (free upgrade via app store etc) and that because there currently changing their magic mouse and trackpad, my order is classed as a 'custom build' so will not be delivered around 1st august. Is this acceptable? i can obviously wait im just an impatient fool

2. iwan073 macrumors regular

iwan073

They're changing the Magic Trackpad?

What the hell, I just bought one this week.
    What's there to change?

3. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

Its not a big deal. In the past Apple would put a OS upgrade DVD "drop in" disk in the box during a OS transition.

4. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Absolutely wrong. I just received my BTO iMac ordered on Wednesday, Lion release day and it has straight up the new Lion desktop picture on the iMac on the box. It has Lion preinstalled, no restore discs. Very happy :D

However, I did a BTO though. So, I think that's the only way to get Lion right now on a Mac (besides the new Mac Mini and MBA).

5. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

Does it have the Applications disk that includes iLife with it? If not, how do they expect you to reinstall iLife?

6. Rocco83 macrumors 6502

Mine didn't ship with it, but I was able to download it from the app store free when I ordered mine a few days ago.

7. Icaras, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Scroll down to "Restoring iLife applications after Internet Restore of OS X Lion"

8. spooktheherd thread starter macrumors newbie

I wouldnt of minded as much if they didnt advertise that all new macs ship with lion (of which the little blue tab stating this seems to have vanished?)

im not really sure what the trackpad/mouse changes are the sales person just said there in transition now, hence my delay grrrrr

9. Icaras, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

10. Appeltaart macrumors newbie

11. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Sorry, fixed.

12. Appeltaart macrumors newbie

Sweet! Now I'm even more hoping that Lion will come installed on my iMac:apple::)

13. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Yea, but just to be safe, I wouldn't call it an absolute guarantee though but I definitely think your chances are much higher if you get a BTO. :)

14. spooktheherd thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the photo. hopefully mine will actually ship with lion as i checked my order status and it has not shipped as of yet so fingers crossed

15. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Good luck. :) For the record also, I chatted with Apple support on their online store and they gave me the same answer they gave you, so as far as sales reps go, I really don't think they have a clue whats really going on.

16. spooktheherd thread starter macrumors newbie

haha thanks icarus, i kind of hope that they are misinformed and lion is already installed. if not does anyone know the procedure of downloading lion free? how will they know its a new mac and that im eligible for a free copy of lion?

thanks again

17. Feek macrumors member

Feek

I ordered my iMac on the 19th, it shipped on the 22nd and was delivered today.

[​IMG].

It was BTO but the only thing I changed from stock was to switch the Magic Mouse to the Magic Trackpad and swap the wireless keyboard to the wired keyboard.

It has Lion and no restore DVDs.

18. JSmoove05 macrumors 6502

arggg i ordered mine on the 17th sunday no lion no box showing lion dammnnnn it:confused::confused:

19. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Was it a BTO?

20. JSmoove05 macrumors 6502

YES BTO 27" i7 3.4 with 1tb & 256 ssd.

21. Cripps macrumors regular

Build to Order.

22. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I've been holding off ordering a new iMac wanting to make sure it came with Lion. The reason. I am getting a SSD + HDD and I don't really want to install Lion over SL on a brand new SSD. But I'm not in a huge hurry anyway. Next week or two is fine with me.

The reason some machines show up without Lion is that these machines were built prior to the release and were already in distribution channels, etc. I even spoke to someone at Apple last week and was told that there was no way to know if even a BTO would have Lion because even newly built machines may still have get a drive that had been imaged with SL. They image bare drives in batches and they would most likely use those up before new batches were available. The upside is that a BTO would more likely than not get Lion before a stock model because the stock models have been built and packaged for some time and are waiting to be shipped.