Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spooktheherd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2010
I ordered my new base 21.5" iMac today via phone and was told that there still not shipping with lion pre-installed, (free upgrade via app store etc) and that because there currently changing their magic mouse and trackpad, my order is classed as a 'custom build' so will not be delivered around 1st august. Is this acceptable? i can obviously wait im just an impatient fool

montycat

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2007
Florida
Its not a big deal. In the past Apple would put a OS upgrade DVD "drop in" disk in the box during a OS transition.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Absolutely wrong. I just received my BTO iMac ordered on Wednesday, Lion release day and it has straight up the new Lion desktop picture on the iMac on the box. It has Lion preinstalled, no restore discs. Very happy :D

However, I did a BTO though. So, I think that's the only way to get Lion right now on a Mac (besides the new Mac Mini and MBA).

dfine1966

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Absolutely wrong. I just received my BTO iMac ordered on Wednesday, Lion release day and it has straight up the new Lion desktop picture on the iMac on the box. It has Lion preinstalled, no restore discs. Very happy :D

However, I did a BTO though. So, I think that's the only way to get Lion right now on a Mac (besides the new Mac Mini and MBA).

Does it have the Applications disk that includes iLife with it? If not, how do they expect you to reinstall iLife?

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Mine didn't ship with it, but I was able to download it from the app store free when I ordered mine a few days ago.

spooktheherd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2010
I wouldnt of minded as much if they didnt advertise that all new macs ship with lion (of which the little blue tab stating this seems to have vanished?)

im not really sure what the trackpad/mouse changes are the sales person just said there in transition now, hence my delay grrrrr

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Here's my new BTO iMac:

web.jpg

Last edited:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Sweet! Now I'm even more hoping that Lion will come installed on my iMac:apple::)

Yea, but just to be safe, I wouldn't call it an absolute guarantee though but I definitely think your chances are much higher if you get a BTO. :)

spooktheherd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2010
thanks for the photo. hopefully mine will actually ship with lion as i checked my order status and it has not shipped as of yet so fingers crossed

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
thanks for the photo. hopefully mine will actually ship with lion as i checked my order status and it has not shipped as of yet so fingers crossed

Good luck. :) For the record also, I chatted with Apple support on their online store and they gave me the same answer they gave you, so as far as sales reps go, I really don't think they have a clue whats really going on.

spooktheherd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2010
haha thanks icarus, i kind of hope that they are misinformed and lion is already installed. if not does anyone know the procedure of downloading lion free? how will they know its a new mac and that im eligible for a free copy of lion?

thanks again

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
I ordered my iMac on the 19th, it shipped on the 22nd and was delivered today.

iMac.jpg

It was BTO but the only thing I changed from stock was to switch the Magic Mouse to the Magic Trackpad and swap the wireless keyboard to the wired keyboard.

It has Lion and no restore DVDs.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I've been holding off ordering a new iMac wanting to make sure it came with Lion. The reason. I am getting a SSD + HDD and I don't really want to install Lion over SL on a brand new SSD. But I'm not in a huge hurry anyway. Next week or two is fine with me.

The reason some machines show up without Lion is that these machines were built prior to the release and were already in distribution channels, etc. I even spoke to someone at Apple last week and was told that there was no way to know if even a BTO would have Lion because even newly built machines may still have get a drive that had been imaged with SL. They image bare drives in batches and they would most likely use those up before new batches were available. The upside is that a BTO would more likely than not get Lion before a stock model because the stock models have been built and packaged for some time and are waiting to be shipped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.