does not support HDCP...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Holmez, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Holmez macrumors member

Hi,
    i have a mac mini connected to a samsung 46" lcd (its 1,3 years old).
    I installed ATV4mac on it, so i could rent movies true itunes. But when i press rent movie, i get a message that HDCP is not supportet. Is this because i the mini has DVI? i use DVI-HDM cabel. Is there a workaround for this problem? :-/

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The Mini uses the GMA950, which is not HDCP compliant. Even if it were, the DVI connection would break that compliance. Thus, the answer to your question is no, you cannot rent movies that parse for HDCP.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I was under the impression that DVI does indeed meet the HDCP standards and that VGA can't do it.

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Hmm. Maybe that's what it is - I don't recall. I know DisplayPort can. What's interesting to me is that Apple's rentals (presumably HD?) have HDCP encryption. I thought it might be Fair Play. Maybe some special version of FP with HDCP?

Edit: Yup, DVI is HDCP-compliant. So, that means the Apple TV's NVida 7300 must be compliant as well, and that Apple TV software checks for it.

5. Holmez thread starter macrumors member

the only thing i miss on my Mac Mini as a mediacenter is HD movierental with Dolby Digital :-/ So its not possible at all with software hacks/tweeks? :(

are there any alternatives for me? another palce i can rent movies/stream...