Does NVIDIA regularly update video drivers for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wonderbread57, Feb 4, 2009.

1. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

I know in the windowsverse, gammer kiddos (ex-gamer here) frequently rerefresh the nvidia driver download page daily to see if a new revision comes out. When I go to the nvidia site however I see no OS X version for download. How does Nvidia do driver updates for Apple products, namely MBP?

thanks

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

They don't. If there is a driver update or a firmware update then Apple would be the ones to distribute that via software update... it is nothing like the windows world where much is DIY.

3. Hannify macrumors member

4. Mattyb1 macrumors newbie

good one :D

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

LOL.. That's probably true! Thought it's more likely and accurate to say nVida doesn't care about it's users. Judging from all the problems people are getting...

Wonder what's next?? Crap or poor quality circuit boards?

6. Hannify macrumors member

Yeah. All joking aside, nVidia has really been dropping the ball lately. I understand that chip manufacturing is incredibly delicate and prone to problems, but even from a PR damage control standpoint, nVidia is failing. There's an aweful lot of distrust surrounding their chips now, sadly with good reason.

7. goMac macrumors 603

I'm pretty sure the NVidia drivers are handled by Apple, not NVidia themselves.

8. MrZebra macrumors regular

thank god.

9. ninjapenguinart macrumors regular

Thank god? Apple takes forever to release its drivers, whereas nVidia releases an update like every month. When a new product comes out their building process for it sucks, but what they do well at is making good drivers. For nVidia, wait a few months post release to get the card so you will have minimal flaws if any at all, but their driver support is top-notch.

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

It's both parties. Apple just streamlined the distribution method. No silly drop down menus to find your particular mac revision or need to know the exact specification of your card, or to have the choice between alpha, beta, unstable, sorta stable and pretty stable drivers lol.

11. MrZebra macrumors regular

Lately, I wish their hardware was that way too :rolleyes:

12. nick9191 macrumors 68040

On the Mac at least Nvidia's drivers are absolutely awful compared to ATI's.

I saw an article on Barefeats a few months back where the ATI X1900 XT, a card nearly 3 years old was running circles around the 8800GT under OS X in pro apps.

If you want to run pro apps under OS X, always buy ATI.

13. goMac macrumors 603

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure while I heard that ATI has in house coders to do their drivers, the NVidia drivers are entirely coded at Apple (which is one reason they have so many issues.)