Does opening my 2011 Macbook Pro void the warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phn0rd, Sep 9, 2014.

1. phn0rd macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I do a lot of computer repairs, and have a 2011 Macbook Pro that belongs to a family member which is in need of service. The Applecare is set to expire this month.

My sister brought it into and Apple Store and was told that there were signs of liquid damage and thus they would not repair it. She insisted to me that there was no liquid spilled, but gave it to me to work on.

Upon opening it up, I found that there were *zero* such signs.

Every single LSI was intact. There were no other signs that water had been inside of the case or outside of the case - no stains, watermarks, rust, etc. etc.

I would like to go and confront the Apple Store's Genius Bar about this. However, I'm afraid of a catch 22 in the form of, "Well you opened it to check on it; therefore it is now out of warranty, even if there is no liquid damage."

I realize that it *is* permissible to open these model Macbook Pros for the purpose of upgrading HDD and RAM; however, in the process of doing so one would only be able to glimpse maybe one or two of the LSIs.

Do you think that my more extensive analysis of the machine will be ground on which for them to void the warranty?

2. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Opening a 2011 MBP does not void the warranty because the RAM is user replaceable. I swapped out the hard drive and the optical drive on mine!

Here are instructions from Apple on how to open the MBP...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270

You should have the Apple employee show you where the signs of water damage are instead of getting into a 'he-said, she-said' argument. Above all, be calm.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Opening the MBP does not void the warranty.

Breaking something in the process of opening it does.