Does opening quick settings still cut off youtube?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Zwhaler, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

One thing that bothers me about Apple's quick settings is that opening them to adjust brightness during YouTube playback would stop the video, also if I did this while playing a song in an email attachment it would cut off playback. Does iOS8 fix this? Thank you.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It's intentional behavior and still happens under ios 7.

3. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

Out if curiosity, why would you want it to keep playing?

4. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Yup, still happens in iOS 8.

5. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

People using YouTube as a music player.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The entire point of quick settings is that it's, well, quick.

I hate that adjusting the screen brightness makes videos stop. If I'm watching a movie I'll be fine to miss those 2 seconds of screen time.

I really think quick settings should not pause videos OR games. If it mattered to me I'd pause it before opening quick settings.

99% of the time I don't want quick settings to pause what I'm doing. Why is the default behavior optimized for 1% of the time? Totally backwards.

I'm certain you're right but I just don't get it.

7. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

It isn't quick settings though, it's Control Center. And Google doesn't want you playing video in the background.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The built-in video app actually has the best compromise between both extremes.

It pauses but then automatically starts playing again when you put control center away. I can live with that. Wish everyone else would follow its lead.

(Including Apple. Not all of their apps follow that method either.)

9. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Intentional? Seems strange to me. If I wanted to pause my video and adjust brightness I would, well, pause the video first.

I can adjust brightness in about 1-2 seconds, so I don't want the video to interrupt in order for me to adjust brightness on the fly while the media is playing back.

This, and while I'm showing somebody a video I want it to keep playing while I take a second or two to dial in the brightness.

Okay, what it is called is not really the point here, on Android they have quick settings with shortcuts for the music player like on iOS, and it doesn't stop the video. Just saying. A cool use of this is if you're listening to a lecture or an extended music mix track in the background and you want to use less battery... simply open quick settings, turn the brightness to zero, keep it on the quick settings page (on my phone it is a pitch black notifications page which uses very little battery) and let the audio keep streaming, viola! I'm not super picky but it just seems weird that they would force this when it clearly isn't a hardware limitation.

10. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You seem to be very stuck on the brightness control, but consider this. The reason (I believe) pulling up Control Center pauses your video is because many of the functions of Control Center would take you away from the video for some time.

Flashlight - you're watching a video at night, and realize you need to find something. You turn on the flashlight to look for it, at which point, you're not watching your video so instead of having to think to pause it first, it's paused for you while you search.

Camera/Timer/Calculator - you're watching a video, and need to use any of these functions. It's a convenience factor to have the video auto pause.

I believe that it's because of these functions, looking beyond your use-case of just adjusting brightness, that activating Control Center pauses your video.

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I don't mind the auto-pause, just wish all apps would auto-resume after pulling it back down.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Does the same thing happen when pulling down notification center? Just curious.

13. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

If I remember correctly yes.

14. afsnyder macrumors 65816

The app I used to use to watch youtube MxTube did not pause the video when I left the app or pulled up control center or notification center.

It's the app developers choice to decide what to do when leave the app.

YouTube doesn't want iOS users to be able to just listen to videos... apparently. I don't see why.

15. crashoverride77, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014

crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

It seems with the latest youtube update it broke background AirPlay. Every time you close the app it's stops playing and puts you back into Apple TV menu until you open youtube again.
    This seems so 2010...

16. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Is that on iOS 8 or iOS 7?

17. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Ios 7 (also 8 most likely it's an app issue). It's so annoying and started recently, I believe with update 2.9.
    Tried in on my iPhone, iPad and a friends iPhone.

18. pure-rockstar macrumors regular

It's odd that Googke doesn't want you using YouTube in the background yet it works perfectly as a background music player in Chrome.

19. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

I just use Safari since you can play Youtube in the background, which undoubtably Google hates (they can't disable this feature either from what I understand it's a iOS thing).

20. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I'm glad it paused the video. This is exactly the behavior I expect.

Apple own Youtube app was miles better than Google's one. You can play music in the background with no problem.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Google could have easily asked them to disable that as they did with various things with various other apps.

22. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I don't want to sound like a dick or a ******* or anything but I wanted to kindly tell you quick settings is know had ""Control Center" :)

23. Bentoh macrumors newbie

Every second of you looking away from the content is an opportunity lost for Google to display ads to you... I think it's Google's decision to pause the video when control center is called... Google had made third party apps to remove the background playing functions before it's clear that their interest is to fix your phone screen with the contents and ads :)

24. matrix07, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I don't think it's Google's decision. Since CC has a variety of controls, how can Apple know how long, or how short, will you use the control? The pause behavior is right. Just because someone want to have a quick setting doesn't mean every one will be as quick when using CC.
    But yeah.. for background playing you can put a blame solely on Google since the old Apple own YouTube app can play YouTube in the background alright. It's Google's greed pure and simple.

25. crashoverride77, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014

crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Update: Youtube fixed it with the latest update...