Does opening the new Macbook Pro void the warrenty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zombrero, Jul 28, 2012.

1. zombrero macrumors newbie

Hi.

First of all. I'm from Iceland and we do not have an official apple store. We do however have few stores that sells Apple products.

I went to one store and was asking if I could self change the battery, RAM, HDD if I bought the new Macbook Pro.
    He said that if I would open just one screw it would void the warranty. Only stores with approval from Apple could do that.

Is that really true? It is almost twice the price to buy battery, RAM and SSD from that store.

2. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

As long as you're getting the regular MBP and not the retina. In the regular one you can replace the HDD and the RAM. I don't think the battery is considered user replaceable, though. In the retina MBP the RAM is soldered and can't be replaced, and neither can the battery. The SSD in it might eventually be replaceable, but no one has created a part that will fit just yet.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is false. You can change the HDD and the RAM without voiding warranty. Not so with the battery.

From the MacBook Pro User Guide:

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The SSD is also not considered a user-replaceable part by Apple, so changing it out would technically void your warranty.

jW

6. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Thanks for pointing that out...I should have been more clear. Nothing is considered user-replaceable in the retina MBP. At some point in the future you may be able to change out the SSD (once OWC or someone else makes one that fits), but doing it would void the warranty.