Does Optibay Void Warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MJNBGA, Jun 22, 2011.

1. MJNBGA macrumors regular

It's something I've been looking in to. But does it void the warranty?

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Technically, yes. However, you leave no permanent marks on your machine during installation. I have reverse-installed the OWC Data Doubler a number of times. If you need to take your machine in, just swap the optical drive back in.

Installation is dead-simple.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Technically it does not void your warranty. The warranty states that any damage produced by work by an unauthorized agent will void the warranty for that component.

If you install the Optibay without any damage you warranty is intact.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Technically, it does.
    As the Optibay does not qualify as a customer-intallable part as defined by Apple, it would void the warranty. Only memory and such "user-serviceable parts" qualify. Even with permitted modifications, any damage done by such work is not covered. See my first post.

6. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Actually, you are correct. There was a ruling regarding use of non-manufacturer parts in automobiles not voiding warranties, I believe in benefit of State Farm.

I would still revert to the factory setup before bringing in for service. It may save you the argument of whether or not you caused any damage (i.e. flexed logic board, shorted something, etc). It is easy enough to do.

7. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I am not sure whether or not it does, but I was able to get my optical drive repaired after I swapped it back after having an optibay fail because of the sata connection.

If in doubt, just take out the optibay and replace the optical drive.

8. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

If you need service, take the optibay out. They'll never know the difference.

9. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

+1

What GGJ writes above is correct. If you need to take a Mac in for warranty service with an Optibay conversion, Apple is not legally required to repair it. Whether damage is done during the conversion or not is irrelevant--what is relevant is that the user expressly contravened the express written warranty.

10. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Do you work for Apple or something?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No need to work for Apple. The Apple Warranty and the AppleCare Protection Plan agreements are quite clear.

12. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

No, but I can read. And I have practiced as a lawyer.

13. OneUp macrumors newbie

Does the Magnuson-Moss Act not apply to notebook computers?

14. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Just what I was thinking.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't apply to modifying a product's functionality beyond it's intended purpose. It only applies to replacing a part with the same type part from another manufacturer. It would apply, for example, to replacing the hard drive or RAM with another brand, but not to replacing the optical drive with a different type of drive.

16. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

One could argue replacing one SATA device with another does not modify the product's functionality. That's not an argument I would want to get into, though.

17. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I thought that the act allowed for modifications by the consumer/owner,but stated that the modified part is no longer covered. The remainder of the warranted parts were covered unless it was determined that the modification caused the part to fail, in which case the warranty would be null and voided. This is how it was explained to me when I replaced the exhaust, entertainment system (yes entertainment, video and the works), and suspension on my truck. The warranty would no longer cover any modified part, but the remainder of covered items would be unaffected as to warranty coverage.

18. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Sigh . . .

You need to read and understand the entire act. Apple has designated the warranty on Macbook Pros as "limited," and it has explicitly identified the "user-serviceable" parts in a Macbook Pro as being limited to the hard drive and the RAM. Apple also explicitly states that service or modification by non-Apple authorized persons will void the warranty. The Moss-Magnuson Act does not prohibit Apple from doing so--it requires a warrantor to explicitly state the limitations on the warranty offered.

Hence, by removing the optical drive, which is not listed as a "user-serviceable" part, Apple may void the warranty without needing to show that the modification had any negative impact on the computer. A warranty is, in effect, a contract between you and Apple. If you do not observe the terms and conditions of the warranty, you in effect relieve Apple of its obligation to honor the warranty.

You could make that argument. You would lose.

19. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Technically it does. But if done properly, you can put the super drive back in and they won't notice.