Does OS X Ask for your password if you delete/move files from your Library?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by marty1990, Dec 13, 2011.

1. marty1990 macrumors 6502

Bit worried about this. Still used to Windows where it doesn't ask for your password... just comes up with that popup window to say OK or Cancel. If I were to go into the Library (which is basically the OS, right), and I accidentally moved or deleted something, it would ask for my password before I did anything, right? Only, I had the Library up trying to figure how to delete a couple of fonts from my trash can (if I recall, it was just an empty folder, a rar file, and two ttf's), and am being a bit paranoid in case I deleted something important. I don't think I did; but OS X asks for a password if you touch anything in the Library, right?

2. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

So it doesn't ask for a password when touching any important files?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It depends on the file and what kind of account you are using. Try it out for yourself.

4. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I don't particularly want to try it out in case I screw it up.

How would I know if I accidentally deleted something important? Would the the whole OS mess up?

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Again it depends on the file. There are some files (not critical OS files) that still require a password to remove like the airport or network plists. Those files just recreate themselves on a restart.

6. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502