Does OS X(Leopard) use more RAM if it's available? 4GB vs 2GB

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kman79, Nov 1, 2007.

1. kman79 macrumors regular

I just upgraded my RAM to 4GB from 2GB. Just ten minutes ago my MBP was showing that is was using 525MB of 2GB, but now that it has 4GB, it's using up 840MB of 4GB. I'm running the same open applications as I was just ten minutes ago, but now it's using more!? I upgraded my RAM because I use windows via VMWare Fusion, and I wanted to use Vista this time around so I wanted to give Vista a full 2GB under virtualization.

I'm just wondering if Leopard is just greedy with RAM when it sees that there's plentiful, or if this really is an unusual behavior.

Any input on this is greatly appreciated.

2. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I believe its not unusual for any OS. When there is not enough RAM the OS will compensate by writing the data to the hard drive instead. When there is more RAM it uses that RAM first before offloading it to the hard drive (if Im mistaken someone will correct me I hope!)

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

4. kman79 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, I appreciate the replies guys. I was just seeing what the consensus thought was.

My MBP is happily chugging along while running Vista with no Issues, awesome!

5. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Every program and OS does this. if there's more RAM, it'll use a bit more.