Does OS X need to warm up?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mark88, Sep 1, 2007.

1. mark88 macrumors 6502a

Everytime I reboot, either with my 2ghz Macbook w/2GB ram or my iMac C2D 2.16ghz with 2GB ram, it seems to boot in reasonable time, all menu items load etc etc but when I launch an app such as safari the system hangs for a minute or so, spinning wheel appears, I can't do expose or click dock icons etc....

Is this normal? very annoying

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This is not at all normal. Does it happen whenever you launch an application, or only some of the time?

3. Copland macrumors regular

Copland

Yeah, my machine is slightly sluggish for around 5 seconds after everything is loaded, but after that it's up to speed.

4. kolax macrumors G3

When you start the computer up from fresh, even after logging in it'll take a wee while before everything is loaded and ready to go.

Depends how many things you have selected to load during startup - I have Mail, Address Book, MSN Messenger, iCal and Temperature Monitor.

Takes 10-15 seconds to fully be ready after I log in.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Do you have any network drives set to automount on startup? That can add a few seconds delay as you describe it.

6. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I've never experienced this. I'd definitely check out automounting network drives as the poster above me suggested, and you might also want to check what you've got starting when you login.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The OP is reporting that his Mac hangs "for a minute or so" after rebooting. That is certainly not normal.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Have you installed any hardware (RAM etc) ?

Try an Archive and Install (boot from your install disk)

9. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You said that just to annoy me, right? ;)

The old advice still holds: attempting a reinstall, especially when the issue is mysterious, is like playing Russian Roulette with most of the chambers full. If the problem is hardware-related, which is it very often, then you could end up with an unbootable Mac. Usually, this is not an improvement.

11. live4ever macrumors 6502a

One thing you could do is try holding down the "shift" key before pressing the login button - this will disable all the 3rd party login items - OS X should start up faster if it doesn't it's probably a system issue.

12. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Mine hangs or about 30 seconds I say. Stuff starts to open, but bounces in the dock for a long time.

13. iBunny macrumors 65816

From boot up, my computer is sluggish for about 10 seconds. I think its still loading everything into cache / virtal memory etc.

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're bottlenecked by the hard drive on boot.

15. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you've probably got a login item that's tying up most of the computer's attention for 30 seconds after login. I've got one of those too (something I choose to have). I can start opening stuff as soon as I login, but it usually takes 30-45 seconds before anything starts showing up on the screen.