Does OS X support two monitors?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RickR, Jul 13, 2007.

1. RickR macrumors member

My fiancee has a MacBook Pro and I know it has a video out to hook up an external monitor but if you hook up an external monitor can you view both that and the laptop's LCD at the same time.
    What I mean is not for the exact same items but as an example she does stock market analysis for a living. She has many screens open at a time monitoring different things in the market and wondered if there's any way she can use a monitor for that use, to have different displays on each. Of course I'm not sure how you'd control it with the mouse/keyboard but is there anything like this that OS X does?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, you can connect a second display to the MacBook Pro to extend your desktop. :)

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

of course you can. just change the settings as you see fit (which monitor goes on what side, resolutions, where the menubar goes...) and then use the mouse and keyboard as usual.

4. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it can support lots of screens. Used it work with a 16 screen wall no problems.

5. jetpowermac macrumors newbie

OK then...

Hi. Thanks for posting valuable info here. I've got two questions:

1) So, can it support multiple screens when using Parallels and Windoughs XP?

2) How can the MacBook (not Pro) be tweaked to offer two signals to external monitors?

Thanks for any direction.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

1) In "coherence mode" you can move the individual windows to your two OS X screens, otherwise I don't believe Parallels supports two virtual monitors.

2) Can you please clarify your question. With an external connected, just turn off mirroring in display preferences and your two monitors display independent signals.

B

7. hopejr macrumors 6502

A couple of hints: press F7 to switch between mirrored and extended desktops on MacBooks and MacBook Pros. Also, you can have different desktop pictures on each screen too.

8. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Not entirely true.

I have screen spanning set up. In parallels, I put the parallels application window on the computer i want to use as full screen. This would be the monitor that doesn't have the menu bar on it. Then, I make parallels full screen. Now, I have OS X running on one monitor and windows on the other.

It's pretty amazing. I can move back and forth with the mouse and it's like moving from one computer to another.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Agreed, but I haven't sen a way to have BOTH monitors in Windows using parallels, at least without coherence. This seemed to be the posters questions. You?

B