Does Otterbox Defender fix proximity sensor issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by thadoggfather, Aug 19, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

on the iphone 4? I'm on 4.0.1, jailbroken and all. Going to unlock right before I go to Europe in a week and a half, and considering getting this case if it fixes the proximity sensor -- plus I will be able to really rough house the phone and not worry.

I have a geometric and love it. Love iPhone 4, everything except the pesky proximity sensor issue. Anyways, thanks!

Even if 4.1 fixes it, I'm probably not going to update it while abroad and risk losing all the goodies, including functionality with european sim providers :/

2. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

How in gods name could a case fix a software issue?

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I have no idea, but I've read some reports people don't have the issue anymore with this case. Maybe because it narrows light that can hit it, so if you're ear is covering it even remotely, it goes off, and if it isn't, the screen turns on again.

Like being in control of the top of a water well. Put the lid on it, black out. Or open it up, and light.

I dunno though... that's why I'm asking.

4. OnNightfall macrumors regular

Ok listen up, does it fix the proximity sensor? NO! The reason some say they don't have the issue anymore is because of how bulky it is your face or cheek does not hit the buttons.

5. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Ah thats true, excellent point. Still that alone might be worth it. 4.1 isn't in my future for a while unless it comes out pronto (within the next week) with unlock/jailbreak.

Still it's not too absurd to think that it might correct the issue with my water well analogy. After all, some people probably thought it was absurd to think a case would reduce/kill off the reception issue.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That is sort of a fix. I have a friend who is finally happy with the phone because with his Otterbox he no longer has the issue. To him, it doesn't matter if it is a software fix or not.

7. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

yea that works for me. plus i can get buck wild with it in europe. I wonder though, would it help making the iPhone more discrete?

I kinda wanna be incognito so I don't get my phone jacked.

Do any retail stores have them in store (B&M)? Want to test it and if thickness is too much, return.

Currently have the Geometric

8. Rainlyn macrumors newbie

proximity sensor

I have the Defender and I don't get this issue with my phone at all. To answer your other question, Best Buy stocks them. The last time I checked, they had many in stock of all three colors.

Regarding making your phone incognito...that is one of the reasons that I didn't mind the otterbox. Originally i had gone with slim cases because i wanted to preserve the beautiful look of the Iphone 4. After considering that my phone doesnt really look like an iphone anymore, and it just looks like some giant smartphone (from a distance), and that I have great shock protection to boot, I went for the case. I don't regret it one minute - it's the best case I've ever had for any phone and absolutely love it.

9. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Great. Last question is how hard/easy is it to slip on and off? I don't need to do it anywhere near every day, but just in case I swap SIM carriers more than once... on AT&T, going to be in Austria soon. Prolly will only put one prepaid SIM in there and keep refilling it but i dunno.

10. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

I wouldn't say slip off, but it's not hard. Just don't know how long the plastic could take daily removal.

As for the Prox sensor I've had a lot less trouble with it when using my Defender.

11. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

OK, i see. Does not fix it, but can prevent you from pressing it against you face. Makes sense now.

Are you worried about the big bad Europe? Sweeping generalisation i know, but you are probably safer than you are in most of the US. Especially in Austria, very low crime rates. But better safe than sorry.

12. Rainlyn macrumors newbie

slipping off

I could take it off within 30 seconds.

It's not difficult to put on, but I like to wipe it down so that there are no dust or particles between the case and the phone itself, so it usually takes me 3 minutes or so for me to put it on.

However, if I really wanted to, I could put it on in about a minute (mostly because you have to line up the rubber shell, and tuck in the little slats all along the edge of the case, and tuck in the plugs, etc.)

13. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I'm also going to be in other countries. I'm sure Vienna is fine but maybe not other places I travel to. People can spot the new iPhone from a mile away but with the otterbox it's not as obvious.

Just bought the red one too :) This will be good for working out at the gym and killing off paranoia I have when setting the phone down, etc.

I have 30 days to return if I change my mind.

The otterbox is thick, to be expected. But believe it or not, slimmer than I thought.

Still, I got dust in there. Not too big of a deal, but removing the clips, how do you do it? I can get one off, but the other two are REALLY hard.