Does overclocking the MacPro mess up TimeMachine backups?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Sep 10, 2008.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. I read that sometime QuickTime and iTune are affected by users overclocking the MacPro. How about TimeMachine? Does speeding up the system clock make time runs faster (the clock on the upper right corner) and mess up the TimeMachine backups?

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I'm not familiar with specific issues that might be caused with Time Machine as a result of overclocking, but...

Just my 2 cents: in today's age of fast multi-core CPUs, the benefits of overclocking don't really outweigh the additional heat and other stability problems that can occur. If we're talking 3+ years ago (where in some cases you can see up to 50% speed increases), fair enough. But now?

The majority of people that still overclock despite this are bleeding edge gamers trying to squeeze that extra couple frames in. But, reality check: CPUs aren't the big bottlenecks in games anymore. It's the GPUs and as always, RAM.

I have a brother (a PC user) that's big on overclocking EVERYTHING. The funny thing is, he spends more money on cooling and other various tweaks than it would have cost him to just buy the faster CPU in the first place.

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I'm assuming you'd be overclocking with ZDNet Clock? If so, yes, it does mess up the computer's sense of time until you restart it. It's hardly noticeable at all (so OCing it isn't really worth it because you're getting about 30 seconds of Mac Pro perceived time more work done per hour if you do OC). Yes, TimeMachine will back up about 30 seconds earlier per hour you leave the MP OC'd, but music and such won't experience this (noticeably at least).

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the info. I shall stay away from oc.