Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akadmon

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Just got some memory from OWC for my soon arriving 6-core. I've not broken the seal on the box because, from what I can see, the "heat sinks" on these modules look awfull flimsy, and I'm thinking of sending them right back to OWC. There are no horizontal fins like on the Crucial RAM I have in my 1,1, just a flat metal sheet on either side of the module. Is this acceptable? Have people run into issues with OWC RAM overheating and failing?

geniusmac

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2012
Monterey, CA
They should be ok. I have 16GB of OWC RAM and it works well on my Mac Pro. Now, as far as them being loose if yours are indeed loose I would send them back. Then again you haven't opened the seal so you can't really tell. I think you should be fine.

relbbircs

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2007
Just got some memory from OWC for my soon arriving 6-core. I've not broken the seal on the box because, from what I can see, the "heat sinks" on these modules look awfull flimsy, and I'm thinking of sending them right back to OWC. There are no horizontal fins like on the Crucial RAM I have in my 1,1, just a flat metal sheet on either side of the module. Is this acceptable? Have people run into issues with OWC RAM overheating and failing?

I've used OWC ram for six years with no problems at all. But ymmv.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I've had two sets of RAM from OWC, one set of 4x4GB and one set of 4x8GB. Both had good heat sinks, and the first set had one dead stick, in which they quickly advanced cross-shipped four new sticks while I used 12 of 16GB in the meantime.

Anyway, that's 2.5 years of heavy use and I have no complaints. If the sticks look like the picture below, you should have nothing to worry about. It's 95F in my office right now, and my system is happy.

OWC1333D3X8M32K.jpg

Librarian580

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2012
That's pretty much the standard heatsink type for DDR3 RAM. DDR3 doesn't run too hot, whereas, at least in my experience DDR2 FB-DIMM's such as in the 2006 run very hot. Typically the gamer or overclocking stuff will have more complex heatsinks, but the OWC RAM isn't that.

akadmon

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Thanks everyone. I'm going to keep it. Just got notified that my MP is ready for pickup, so I'll know as soon as tonight if these modules are good (knock on aluminum).

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Don't forget the RAM used in the newer pro's is different from the stuff we use in 1.1, 2.1 and 3.1.

They changed it from the stuff with the massive heat sinks, to more standard memory.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
akadmon - well, my new MP Crucial modules arrived and they don't have flimsy heat sinks :D

As a matter of fact, they don't have ANY heat sinks :eek:

I believe the current memory runs waaaay cooler than the older stuff we are all remembering.

These modules run at 1.35v

Librarian580

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2012
akadmon - well, my new MP Crucial modules arrived and they don't have flimsy heat sinks :D

As a matter of fact, they don't have ANY heat sinks :eek:

Just a thought you might want to fit some Heatsinks on to those if so. Even though typical MP ram has ECC, heat could possibly still effect reliability. can't hurt, at least, i'd think.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Don't worry.

The 1,1 RAM's massive heat sinks aren't needed for the newer memory.

When I saw the 1,1 sinks back in 2006 I was shocked. Never seen such a thing.

Not even Rambus sticks had heat sinks like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.