Does Pages automatically update all the file format documents on my computer....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by otherguy5, Jun 5, 2019.

1. otherguy5 macrumors member

I have a lot of documents that I archive (into the thousands) and I was wondering... whenever i update Pages, does it automatically update the file format of all the Pages documents on my computer? Or do I have to open a document to have it updated?

One of my fears is that as years go by, I'll try to open a document that I saved years ago, but can't do to it because it's a very old format. Sure, I know you can convert it. But even then, I just like everything to be automatically updated and I'm hoping that's the case...

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No... Pages won't automatically update your documents for you.

3. NoBoMac, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019

NoBoMac macrumors 68020

Very valid one. And does not have to be old: seen where documents created in previous version of Office not open correctly in new version.

As a stop-gap, can always generate PDF from the originals, so to have at least that. Particularly useful if odds of ever opening the old document down the road is close to nil.

4. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

When you open a document you are given the option of updating it...... Up to you to say yay or nay.

I do update documents I have transferred to my 2018 MacBook Air (running Mojave), knowing that I will likely no longer be able open them on the 2009 Mac Mini (running El Capitan) on which they were created. It is unlikely that I will ever want to do so going ahead, but should I need to they are archived in their original form on an external drive.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Not exactly. When you open a document it will automatically get converted to the new format, but it will not be saved. You have to decide if you want to manually save to the new format, or just quit without saving leaving it in the old format.

6. otherguy5 thread starter macrumors member

Is there a way to update the format of multiple docs at once?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Not that I know of.