Does Pandora on the iPhone work outside the USA?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by RobLikesBrunch, Aug 9, 2008.

1. RobLikesBrunch macrumors regular

I have an American iTunes account- so attainig the app won't be a problem. :)

2. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

It should, I don't see anything preventing it from working elsewhere.

The app is free, why don't you download and see?

3. spazattack674 macrumors regular

I know that they mention something about needing to be in the US when you sign up for the service, but I'm not sure if they would monitor it that closely when you are using it on the phone, just as long as you live in the US

4. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I'm in Canada and I just downloaded it from the iTunes US store and it doesn't work here.

5. Marky macrumors regular

Tried it in the UK and it doesn't work, you have to register on their website and it recognises where you are.:(

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

yeah, they use your IP address to locate where you are

7. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

no

it doesnt work outside the US. Reason being is because shortly after their release they lost the licensing needed for streaming music over the internet outside the US. they are working on getting their privileges back. If the iphone used static IP addresses then you could give them your IP (if you are an american, like me being a marine stationed in japan), but since the iphone does not use static IP addresses this does not work. best bet is to just wait till the get there privileges back. till then use last.fm it is the same concept.

8. RobLikesBrunch thread starter macrumors regular

But I already have an account...I used to live in the States....think it might work now?

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

No, read the post above, it won't work.

10. dbrandt6 macrumors member

dbrandt6

It worked for us in Canada....

used it over my nieces wifi at her home. Streamed music fine but would not allow us to give thumbs up or down. We were visiting for a few days from Michigan, where we live and set up the account on our iphones before we left.