Does Parallels 5 work with Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by 3587, Jul 27, 2011.

1. 3587 macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if Parallels 5 works with Lion? I have a 2011 MacBook Pro that I would like to upgrade to Lion, just don't want/need to spend more money on Parallels 6 if I don't have to...

Or would it be better to upgrade to Parallels 6?

Thanks.

2. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

No it doesn't, according to an email sent out by Parallels when Lion was released. It's version 6 only.

3. SnoFlo macrumors regular

SnoFlo

No, it doesn't work. Lion rendered my copy useless.

4. Ropie macrumors regular

Ropie

I remember when upgrading to SL, Parallels 4 was supposed to no longer work. However, after a few weeks some bright spark found a way to launch Parallels 4 in SL by opening the Parallels folder (with the 'Show Folder Contents' option) and launching it from within there. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work with Parallels 5 in Lion, at least not on my system, so for the time being I am stuck. I'm not upgrading Parallels again - it's a bit ridiculous that they can't release a patch for 5 to work in Lion.

5. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not near my Mac... Is Parallels 6 available for download from the Mac App Store? If so, can you download an upgrade? Or is it only available from their website.

I need Parallels, so it looks like I'll be updating to Parallels 6 along with Lion... Sounds like the kinks will be worked out of Lion here soon... Worth upgrading as I've been using it on my MBA with no issues.

6. JamieapB macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I was part of the Seed Testing for Lion and Parallels did release a work around for Version 6 which worked fine (and continues to work fine) for my version 5. I am pretty annoyed that Parallels are using this as another way to force us to upgrade their software but for the simple work around I have in place, I for one am not going to upgrade to their version 6!

7. JamieapB macrumors newbie

Sorry, new to this, but if any one would like the work around for continued use of version 5 of Parallels, let me know on this thread and I will post it.

8. harzo macrumors newbie

I would be interested in this.

9. spyderx macrumors member

I did a check and Parallels 4 & 5 don't work with Lion... and I couldn't see a way around it. I had been using 4 for quite some time. I only use it for running Quicken for PC so I just went to Fusion (which I also have but never used on my home machine, and latest version is supported), virtual disk ported over fine. Vanilla XP Pro install.

10. stillmatic macrumors member

No, Parallels 5 doesn't work with Lion. But, the latest version of 6 does.

Source

11. JaZzMaN251 macrumors regular

JaZzMaN251

I'm also interested. This 40$ upgrade for something I already purchased is crazy...

12. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

You rendered your copy useless.

13. JaZzMaN251 macrumors regular

JaZzMaN251

Actually, Parallels did...

If there is a fix (see some comments above) and they just tell you to upgrade, then it's in Parallels hands.

Or do you agree we should have to buy another version of Office/Logic/iWorks/iLife/... too each time the operating system is updated?

(I mean, it's not that it's a PPC -> Intel change)

14. a.jfred macrumors 6502

I broke down and upgraded to Parallels 6, even though I'm sticking with SL for now - and I will say, it's considerably faster than Parallels 5 ever was. That said, I'm also annoyed about having to basically pay full purchase price for an "upgrade", but that's more Nova Development than Apple's fault.