Does Parallels really suck this much, or is something wrong with my 2011 MBP?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by macdroid, Apr 7, 2011.

1. macdroid macrumors member

So I have owned my 2011MBP (15", 2.2GHz) for about a month now, and while it isn't slow, it doesn't feel as fast as my 3 year old C2D (E6750) based system. On my Windows machine, I can run several virtual machines, for months, without even noticing any impact on other applications such as Adobe CS3, etc. This system only has 4GB of memory, and an older 750GB HD.

If I try running just 1 virtual machine (be it XP or Windows 7), it makes the laptop almost useless, while the VM itself isn't running that fast either. I have tweaked some of the performance settings in Parallels, but nothing seems to make a difference. I upgraded to 8GB of memory, still no difference.

Is this a typical experience?

2. slackpacker macrumors 6502a

slackpacker

I Think its actually pretty peppy but Parallels 6 is a total power and CPU hog. But on the other hand BootCamp runs great now. The 2011 Models have to be among the best Windows laptops out there. Win 7 runs cool and quick and barely uses power. But Apple has to fix the trackpad driver pronto it sucks.

3. macdroid thread starter macrumors member

Then I guess something is wrong with my machine, because my old core2duo based system is a lot peppier than this machine. I use Virtual Box on my Windows machine, and I can run multiple instances without breaking a sweat.

4. TomH TX macrumors regular

Try going into parallels settings and increasing the ram allocated to the virtual machine to at least 3gigs. That is what I had to do. Hope that helps. :)

5. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I just use Boot Camp for Win 7 Pro, same laptop as you 15" 2.2ghz, 4gb ram and 750gb hd w/ hr anti-glare. I have no issues, although I am tempted to upgrade to 8gb ram before my month ends of owning this only for a feeling of complete, if I don't upgrade I could care less b/c this beast is quick and no and I mean no issues.

6. InSides macrumors newbie

Here, here!

7. macdroid thread starter macrumors member

Have it set for 4GB :( And it still doesn't explain why OSX would be so slow.

That said, today is the first time the machine actually felt faster than any other machine I have used. I had to do some video editing with iMovie, and the response was great. I am guessing it's something with Parallels itself, I'll have to try Fusion next, unless Virtual Box has been fixed to work in a 64bit environment.

8. hans1972 macrumors regular

1 vCPU and 2Gb RAM

I would make sure that you do not allocate more than one virtual CPU and 2Gb RAM to see if that helps.

Usually with virtualization on PC/Mac, the bottleneck is usually the disk system. Make sure that the disk is performing well in OS X without running Parallels.

9. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

Something is up on your end, Parallels six is working fine on my iMac i3 with only 4GB of ram, and your macbook pro is way more powerful. Maybe you need to increase the resources you're giving to the virtual machines?

10. akcarrington macrumors newbie

Dollar thirsty jerks

I am so annoyed with the PATHETIC customer focus, support and care that I have had with Parallels.

On June 30, 2011 I handed over $120 for the Parallels 6/Kaspersky package only to find two months later Parallels 7 has been launched. So I think great I should be able to upgrade to the new version like many other software titles I own.

Boy has my blood pressure been boiling since! I find out that Parallels are only concerned with blatantly ripping off their customers by refusing to focus on being fair to their customer. I'm offered the standard $30 discount to upgrade, with a price tag of $50.

Then I find out I may be in luck after seeing phrases like '6 month upgrade protection' and inquire at Kaspersky because I wasn't offered this extra to find out it was only offered between July 14-31.

I have now uninstalled Parallels and am looking to purchase an alternative, suggestions welcomed! This is for me not about the money, although I don't like wasting it, its about fairness and Parallels are just dollar thirsty jerks. And don't get me started on their pay for support pricing!