Does photostream fill my iPhone with trash?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Poly, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Poly, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014

Poly macrumors 6502

I have an ipad and iphone connected with Photostream.
    99% of the time i only take my photos with the iphone and like to view them on my ipad.

Now here is my question:
    On my iphone the same photos are obviously shown two times in my photos folder and the photostream folder. Now does that fill up my iphone with useless copies of these photos? Or is the photostream version only a link?

2. -BigMac- macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

good question, i want to know this too

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Photo stream is stored in the cloud. It counts towards iCloud storage, not local storage on your phone. Photos in your camera roll take up local storage.

4. SenseiPhone macrumors regular

The main store of the Photo Stream is on iCloud. Local copies of the latest 1000 photos in your Photo Stream are stored on your iDevices. Photo Stream pictures can also be downloaded into your iPhoto and/or Aperture photo libraries, or onto a designated folder on your Windows PC. Photos are purged from the Photostream cloud store after thirty days, so be certain that photos you want to save are downloaded to your computer, or saved to your iOS device camera roll on a regular basis.

ᔥ Apple: iCloud — Photo Stream
    ᔥ Macworld: iCloud:What you need to know

Note that you now have the ability to delete individual photos from Photo Stream Macworld's statement to the contrary was true at the time of publication.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/44417/where-is-photostream-data-stored

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Photo Stream photos are only a link or shortcut. There are no duplicates on your phone.

6. bigcstyle4, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014

bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

They're also stored in the cloud but on the devices as well (they also don't count toward your iCloud storage limit by the way).

No

Yes

Go to Settings, General, Usage, Photos & Camera and it will break it down. 1.6GB of my phone's storage is Photos (876MB in Camera Roll, 787MB in Photo Stream).

I have 1.2GB of storage currently being used by Photos on my iPad, on which the camera has never been used and has an empty camera roll. All the photos were taken on my iPhone and are in the Photo Stream album.

http://ios7.io/posts/24593-turn-off-my-photo-stream-to-free-up-1gb-of-space-in-ios

7. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Does photostream fill my iPhone with trash?

It does use some local storage. It has to cache them. It's using storage on my iPhone.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398251123.452223.jpg

8. cynics macrumors G3

That is true for a picture folder you make but not photostream. You can delete pictures in the camera roll and they won't be removed from photostream and vice versa. Someone posted a picture above similar to mine.

[​IMG]

Note the total at the top is the addition of both storage libraries.

9. Merkie macrumors 68020

Every photo that appears both in your Camera Roll and Photo Stream are stored twice on your device.

10. Poly thread starter macrumors 6502

K so I assume that after 30days the photos will get deleted from Photostream automatically? Or will that only after 1000pictures happen?
    If they get deleted after 30 days that's no problem for the device i take the pictures on, since the duplicate will get deleted....but it's a problem for my iPad....
    how do i keep them on my ipad?