does power trip going to damage the Imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by spoon72, Aug 13, 2011.

1. spoon72 macrumors regular

spoon72

I have the power surge installed but will the power trip damage the imac since it didn't has a proper shut down. In PC improper shutdown can corrupt the OS but will it happen on IMac?

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Lets say it doesn't do it any good for either the OS or hardware. You would be wiser replacing the surge protector with a decent UPS, they can be configured to do an orderly shutdown in the event of a total power failure even if you aren't there to attend it. For about $100 you can get a decent one that will protect import items like the computer and external HD's.

3. spoon72 thread starter macrumors regular

spoon72

I found this brand APC BACK-UPS RS 800VA 230V - BR800I
    but it didn't state the software for auto shudown able to use on Mac os X ,it only put win OS. any brand to suggest? BTW I live in asia which uses 230VAC

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

IIRC, the APC units communicate just fine with the built in OSx power software; you don't need extra software. It does depend on the version of OSx I think, but recent versions are probably fine.

5. spoon72 thread starter macrumors regular

spoon72

what sort of power setting is best use with the ups?

6. westom macrumors regular

Power surge devices (designed for extremely high voltages) do nothing for and completely ignore power loss (zero or near zero voltages).

Power loss only causes data loss (ie OS files) if using an obsolete filesystem. Filesystems that make improper shutdown irrelevant were obsoleted about 1990. However, some were using obsolete filesystems well after 2000, A user still using obsolete technology is why an OS can be corrupted.

Apparently you are confusing a UPS with something completely different - a surge protector.

7. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

Improper shutdowns can upset your iMac just as much as your PC. Of course, direct corruption may not happen from one, but after a couple of times, it could affect the filesystem of the iMac and cause it to run fsck on bootup. At that point, reinstalling Mac OS X is the best thing to do. As long improper shutdowns happen once in a while (like once in a blue moon), it should not affect the health of your iMac.

8. spoon72 thread starter macrumors regular

spoon72

I do understand the function of power surge device and UPS but my concern is causing corruption on the Mac OS or any other file, but definitely I will invest in one UPS just incase it happen again.

Just hope that it doesn't damage the harddrive as well ...

9. westom macrumors regular

When does a disk drive learn of a power off? When voltage starts dropping. Disk drives (even in the 1960s) were never informed until after power off started. Unexpected power off is also a normal power off to all disk drives. 'Improper shutdown' does not cause data loss. At most, a filesystem may detect a difference between index tables. So the OS automatically fixes it (ie fsck).

UPS maintains power so that unsaved data can be saved. Or so that a user need not wait for a system restart.

Unexpected power off does not damage hardware inside a properly constructed computer.

10. Hamilton1963 macrumors regular

I'm using an APC Back-Up I bought 10 years ago and used on my PC for the last 10 years until July 27, 11. I've been using the same Back-Up since July 27 and so far so good. The iMac recognized it immediately and I was able to programed it to shutdown my iMac in case of a power failure. I can't believe the battery is still going after all these years. It's worthy to invest on an APC Back-Up.

----------

Improper shutdown may or may not cause problems. I've done dozens of testing on computers I've builded and nothing bad ever happened to any of them. Last year I disconnected the computer I've been using for more than ten years 5 times direct from the outlet and it continue to work without any problems.

11. karl878 macrumors member

At home, I use a combination of electric main power protection (whole house) with uninterruptible power supply (battery). I haven't recently reviewed the merits of different brands, so why i delay mentioning the brands I am currently using, Sycom and APC.

12. spoon72 thread starter macrumors regular

spoon72

well as long the disc drive read head know how to park nicely without hitting the media then it should be fine I guess.

13. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

That sounds like it would be fine, what you look for is how many outlets it has and then how much load everything you plug into it will draw. The more devices the shorter the battery life. I live in the US and use the APC ES-750. As others have stated no additional software is necessary. Once you plug in the UPS's USB cable to your computer Energy Saver will automatically recognize it and you can manipulate the settings to your needs.

A UPS is a wise investment even if your area gets good power, it doesn't matter where you live power outages and surges can and do occur.

14. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

Hardware would likely be affected if it was faulty or handled incorrectly or badly. Software based issues such as improper shutdowns (turning your Mac off by taking off the plug), etc can affect the software part of the HD, which is the file system. This is when you can corrupt your OS. I highly doubt it will affect the hardware part of the HD, but you never know. That's just my two cents.

15. spoon72 thread starter macrumors regular

spoon72

how to choose the model or power rating for UPS if I need to connect to my IMAC 27" 2011 3.4G with one wireless modem?

16. Hamilton1963, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

Hamilton1963 macrumors regular

This model will take care of your iMac, APC BR1000G - Amazon is selling it for $129.00. P.S. Don't follow the CIA. advice, it will cost over $500.00. As I said in my post, I own one for a little over 10 years, never changed the battery. My iMac is 27" i7, connected to it I have an APC Back-Up, an external HDD, external speakers and a cable to connect my iPhone. On my APC I have two iMacs connected to it.

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1000G-O...TZ3W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313324674&sr=8-1

17. westom macrumors regular

A disk drives computer is only what decides to park heads. Only change that tells that computer of a power off is dropping voltage. The computer parks the head same way everytime no matter how power is removed.

The UPS provides time to save unsaved data. And still some (ie rkaufmann87) believe a UPS does surge protection. It does not as made obvious by reading manufacturer specifications. A UPS provides temporary and 'dirty' power to operate a computer after power loss. Then unsaved data can be saved. UPS does not do any hardware protection. And does nothing to protect hard drives hardware.

How dirty is power from a UPS in battery backup mode? Can be so 'dirty' as to be harmful to small electric motors and power strip protectors. Circuits already inside computers make that 'dirty' power irrelevant. Computers hardware had long been that robust as to made 'dirty' UPS power and unexpected power loss irrelevant.

18. spoon72 thread starter macrumors regular

spoon72

Got the APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 900 230V Model BR900GI RBC Model RBC123 10.72kg
    ... Will "test run" it with incoming power off after full charge.

19. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi westom,
    you can for sure babble a lot without making much sense...

20. Hamilton1963 macrumors regular

I sent the post below to APC and here is their response:

Dear Hamilton,

Thank you for contacting APC's email support on 08/14/2011 09:04 AM. I would be happy to assist you.

I understand that you want to know if there is dirty power when the UPS switches to battery power. The output of the UPS is not a "dirty power" but it is a "step approximated sine wave" when the UPS switches to battery power. This kind of waveform is compatible with IT equipment like Computers, switches, net work devices but not with motor loads. You do not have to worry about this.This will not cause any damage for the equipment.

There is surge protection always whether the UPS is on battery power or when it is on battery power. Also, you are not supposed to connect a surge strip to the UPS. The following documents explains in detail:
    http://nam-en.apc.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1372

21. spoon72 thread starter macrumors regular

spoon72

nice info ...with the APC UPS my IMAC is more "protected" than ever except dare not install the LION even thought is FOC as I bought it in JULY. btw I would recommend imac/pc user to invest in UPS especially the imac does not come cheap and the UPS is a small investment / insurance .

22. spoon72 thread starter macrumors regular

spoon72

Hi Hamilton, is it all right for me to off the incoming power to the UPS when I switch off /shut down the IMAC power?

23. Hamilton1963 macrumors regular

You may do it but, keep in mind that without energy the battery will loose power. If you turn on your computer everyday the UPS will be ok. Keep an eye on the UPS battery power remaining. You can set the power remaining info by clicking on the UPS icon located all the way up on the right side of your screen. Click on "show" then choose "Percentage." The icon looks like the head of a power cord.